[NFBF-Tampa] Southeastern Stoops to an All-Time Low!

Marion Gwizdala marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Thu Mar 11 15:22:55 UTC 2021

I will answer the concerns of this message but let me first state that the bfundamental question we need to ask here is why Southeastern showed up at her door completely unannounced, forcibly removing the dog without due process nor any offer to remediate the issue. Rev. Blake attempted to explain that she had changed vets and that her dog was seen one month earlier. Southeastern refused to listen to her, obviously intent on the repossession. We also need to understand that the premise of the unannounced visit was because her dog was overweight. The Field representative made a subjective assessment that the dog was about four pounds overweight . Some professionals prefer to keep dogs on the thin side while others prefer a dog a little thicker. Now SEGDI is stating it is 16 pounds overweight, based upon its weight at 20 months old – fresh out of the kennel.

No matter what excuse Southeastern has for their immoral, unethical, and,  perhaps, illegal action this sort of behavior violates our basic human rights and any sense of fairness. Rev. Blake attempted to explain that she had changed vets and SEGDI did not consider this nor check out this information.

                What the below message states is both true and false. It is true that the dog’s last vaccination was in 2018; it is untrue that she was two years overdue, as she received a three-year vaccination. In addition, Rev. Blake had her dog at the vet one month earlier for her vaccinations but the vet found an ear infection and chose to delay the vaccination until the ear infection was cleared. It is true that when the dog was placed with Rev. Blake at 20-months-old she weighed 57 pounds. At 20-months-old, the dog is still growing and filling out. She is now nearly ten-years-old and weighs 73 pounds. That is not overweight for a medium-size Labrador retriever.Those of you with Labrador retrievers, tell us how much your dogs weigh. Well, if you have a SEGDI dog, that might not be a good idea; they might come and take it away from you.

                I think it is also important for everyone to know that Southeastern contacted the veterinarian of record in Rev. Blake’s file and discussed the care of her dog. As it pertains to the records of a licensed veterinarian, Florida statute 474.2165 (4) states, “ Except as otherwise provided in this section, such records may not be furnished to, and the medical condition of a patient may not be discussed with,

any person other than the client or the client's legal representative or other veterinarians involved in the care or treatment of the patient, except upon written authorization of the client.” By discussing Rev. Blake’s file with Southeastern, this veterinarian violated Florida statute. Southeastern Guide Dogs repossessed Rev. Blake’s dog partly based upon information illegally obtained, a principle of law known as “fruit of a poisonous tree”. Should Southeastern attempt to argue they took this action based upon this information, a judge would not allow it as evidence. Rev. Blake is filing a complaint against this vet with the florida Board of Vetrinary medicine.

                It is important that the facts are known and that Southeastern is held accountable for their behavior. No matter what their argument or justification, our 5th and 14th Amendment rights is that no one may deprive us of life, liberty, or property without due process. It is for this reason that we should all demand that guide dog training programs be required by their accrediting bodies to contractually agree that a dog may not be removed without such due process. This would require the training program to contact the governmental authority in the jurisdiction to have the dog removed, thus ensuring our rights of due process are protected

With best regards,

Marion

.

Marion Gwizdala