[NFBF-Tampa] Tampa Bay Chapter Meeting Minutes August 2021

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Fri Sep 24 15:10:37 UTC 2021

Hello to all, and Happy Fall!

Here are the August minutes for your reading pleasure.

I hope to see you tomorrow at Beefs!

Sherrill

Tampa Bay Chapter

Chapter Meeting Minutes

August 21, 2021

Beef O'Brady's

8810 North Himes Avenue

The meeting was called to order by President Miranda Kilby at 12:50PM.

All introduced themselves. There were 14 persons in attendance, including
two via the Zoom platform.

Secretary and Treasurer'sReports

A motion was made by Barbara, seconded by Paul, to approve the July meeting
minutes as emailed. The motion passed.

Dan gave the treasurer's report. Our current balance is $1582.85. Miranda
explained that the chapter Board had agreed to pay for the registration and
banquet tickets for all chapter members attending the state convention. A
motion was made by Barbara, seconded by Sherrill, to accept the treasurer's
report as read. The motion passed.

President's Report

Miranda reported that we have paid our annual chapter dues to NFBF. We have
a total of 36 members.

She encouraged everyone to attend the open convention planning meeting via
Zoom on August 30.

She said state secretary Sylvia Young will be running for the position of
secretary/treasurer.

State Convention

Miranda said we have approximately 150 reusable cloth masks to give out to
attendees at the beginning of convention. Yvonne said she could obtain hand
sanitizers from the drug rep who comes to their ophthalmology office. Other
information she gave us;

The restaurant will be open for lunch.

We will hold  Friday night trivia.

Tampa ADA Coordinator Raquel pancho will open the convention by reading a
proclamation from Tampa's Mayor Jane Castor. Paul said Raquel has been a
great friend to our chapter, and encouraged everyone to send her a thank-you
email.

The question was raised about whether vaccination of attendees will be
required, and Miranda said it will not be.

Yvonne is continuing to work on the description of our convention hotel, the
Embassy Suites USF.

 Following discussion, it was decided that our chapter's auction basket
theme would be wine and relaxation. Miranda will send out an email for us to
reply to all indicating what we plan to donate. We need to bring the item(s)
to our next chapter meeting.

Old Business

TD Tampa Bay

Debbie Malone will resend the letter to our chapter listserv Which gives us
ideas about what and to whom to write in support of reinstating the TD Tampa
Bayintercounty ride program.

We will send information out to the Lighthouses inviting them to participate
in this issue. Miranda said Pinellas County is funding a scaled-down version
only for their county.

Chapter Matters

Miranda said that with the resignation of chapter vice president Merry
Schoch, she has appointed Gloria to serve in that capacity until elections
in February. She would like to work on our constitution so officer and board
member terms are staggered rather than electing all at the same time.

New Business

Louise expressed concern about the absence of several members. Miranda said
that without the TD Tampa Bay program, HART Plus from sun City would cost
around $40 each way. She said we need a membership committee to make calls.

Gloria invited everyone to call into the Senior Concerns meeting on
September 2 to get expert technology information from NFBF member Ryan Mann.
She said that at our state convention, the Senior Concerns seminar will take
place on October 2. The program will cover the important topic of wills and
estate planning.

NFBF

Paul said that our state president Denise Valkema does not plan to run again
for that office. Dan said it is very important that we work hard to elect a
good state board of directors at our upcoming elections in October.

Noe Villeda won the 50/50 drawing, receiving $80.

Our next meeting will be held on September 25 at Beef O'Brady's.

The meeting was adjourned at 1:55PM.

Respectfully submitted

Sherrill O'Brien, Secretary

Tampa Bay Chapter

Phone 813-935-0474, cell 813-767-1890

email Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you bac