[NFBF-Tampa] Tampa Bay Chapter Meeting Minutes February 2022

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Sat Mar 26 00:16:18 UTC 2022

Tampa Bay Chapter

Chapter Meeting Minutes

February 26, 2022

Beef O ' Brady's

8810 North Himes Avenue

Tampa, Florida

The meeting was called to order by President Miranda Kilby at 12:05pM.

We said the NFB pledge together.

All introduced themselves. There were  15 persons in attendance, including
5 members and one guest, NFBF's second vice president Camille Tate,  who
participated via Zoom. She assisted in setting up our Zoom call.

Secretary and Treasurer Reports

A motion was made by  Barbara, seconded by Dan, to approve the  October 2021
meeting minutes as emailed. The motion passed. A motion was made by Barbara,
seconded by Z'leah, to approve the January 2022 meeting minutes as emailed.
The motion passed. Sherrill thanked Dan for taking the January minutes in
her absence.

Dan gave the treasurer's report. Our current balance is $1,824.64. Dan said
our bank has raised the minimum which must be kept in a checking account to
avoid fees.  The amount has been raised from $1500 to $2000.

A motion was made by Sherrill, seconded by Barbara, to accept the
treasurer's report as read. The motion passed.

President's Report

Miranda thanked those who have participated in our annual NFB Washington
Seminar, which is being held virtually this year. There are still more
representatives and senators with whom we need to meet. Miranda invited
anyone wishing to get involved to contact her. Our West Florida team is
being led by Brittany Fraer and Scott Wilson. Yvonne said they are working
to secure an appointment with the office of District 14 Representative Kathy
Castor. Yvonne encouraged those members living in that district to
participate.

Miranda invited all to join the March open planning meeting for next
October's state convention in Jacksonville. Both the Jacksonville and
Daytona Beach chapters will serve as the convention hosts.

Miranda said she and Paul spoke on behalf of the chapter at the South Tampa
Lions Club. They asked whether the club would consider funding an NFBF
student scholarship.

HART Plus News

Yvonne said that HART has changed the paratransit eligibility  requirements
from needing to live three quarters of a mile from a bus stop to  one and a
half miles. She said this will enable her to more easily host chapter events
at her home.

Paul asked us to think about whether we would like to create a state PAC
plan similar to our longtime giving plan with NFB.

Proposed New Chapter Constitution

Dan and Sherrill then read the proposed revised Tampa chapter constitution
to the group for the purpose of voting on it following the reading. . Prior
to the vote, we discussed at length the idea of incorporating "people first"
language into the document. Following the discussion, a motion was made by
Z'leah, seconded by Dan, to accept the Constitution as read. The motion
passed with one "no" vote.

Dan will email the new constitution to the chapter list. The major change in
our constitution is that we will no longer elect the entire Board during
each election, but rather hold staggered elections in accordance with NFB's
recommendations and our NFBF constitution.

Chapter Elections

Elections were then held.

The following officers and Board members were elected:

Miranda Kilby, President, two year term

Gloria Mills Hicks, Vice President, one year term

Sherrill O'Brien, Secretary, two year term

Dan Hicks, Treasurer, one year term

Yvonne Rosanelli, Board Position 1, 2 year term

Barbara Gaw, Board Position 2, 1 year term

Sewar Qumebi, Board Position 3, two year term

TD Tampa Bay Campaign

Miranda said we are continuing to work to get the TD Tampa Bay service
reestablished. She contacted Debby Malone who has headed up this project for
our chapter. Debby has moved back to Massachusetts, but will help Sewar
Qumebi, who has agreed to take over the project. Miranda suggested we send
letters stating why we need the service to return, and they will now be put
into one communication.

Chapter Committees

Fund Raising chair, Gloria

Social activities, Yvonne

Barbara volunteered to serve on the membership committee.

Our 50/50 fundraiser drawing was won by Miranda, in the amount of $45.

Our next meeting will be held on March 26.

The meeting was adjourned at 1:45PM.

Respectfully submitted

Sherrill O'Brien, Secretary

Tampa Bay Chapter

Phone 813-935-0474, cell 813-767-1890

email Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net <mailto:Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net>

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you bac