[NFBF-Tampa] Tampa Bay Chapter Meeting Minutes April 2022

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Fri May 27 23:28:42 UTC 2022

Happy Friday to all,

Here are April's minutes.

Sherrill

Tampa Bay Chapter

Chapter Meeting Minutes

April 23, 2022

Beef O ' Brady's

8810 North Himes Avenue

Tampa, Florida

The meeting was called to order by President Miranda Kilby at 12:05PM. All
introduced themselves. There were a total of 17 persons in attendance, 14 in
person and 3 via the Zoom platform. We welcomed two guests, Greg Farley and
his father, who were invited by Kristine Copley.

Miranda urged those who are not subscribed to our Tampa Bay Chapter listserv
to join, offering to help anyone needing it.

Secretary and Treasurer Reports

A motion was made by Dan, seconded by Kristine, to approve the March chapter
meeting minutes as emailed. The motion passed.

Dan gave the treasurer's report. Our current balance is $1,801.65. A motion
was made by Barbara, seconded by Sherrill, to approve the treasurer's
report. The motion passed.

President's Report

Miranda said anyone wishing to do so can now book their room for our NFBF
state convention, which will be held in October at the Marriott River Walk
in Jacksonville.

She mentioned the national convention which is coming up shortly in July in
New Orleans.

Social Activities Report

Yvonne is the chair of the social activities committee. She said that the
comedy club Side Splitters will be featuring comedian Josh Blue during the
first weekend of June. She feels this would be a particularly good comedian
for us to support since he has cerebral palsy. She will look into this event
for us. She will also check into a bowling event for our group at Pin
Chasers.

TD Tampa Bay Report

Sewar, who is now in charge of this project, has composed a letter asking
that this cross county ride service be reinstated. We are hoping that the
governor will include the funding appropriated for it in the state budget
which he will soon be signing. Sewar encouraged others to write letters in
support of the service. Miranda will send out Sewar's letter to the Tampa
Bay chapter list.

Fund Raising Report

Gloria is the fund raising chair. She reported on the meeting which the
committee held on April 18. Ideas from that meeting included:

Holding Spirit Nights

Miranda will look into restaurants which offer Spirit Nights to nonprofits.
These would be similar to those which the chapter held at Beef O ' Brady's
several years ago.

Miranda will also ask Beef O ' Brady's management whether we could host a
breakfast fund raiser at this location which we have done several times in
the past.

Selling candy at Yvonne's office

We decided on M&M's, and will ask for a donation of $3 for one pack, $5 for
two.

We authorized $200 for Yvonne for the candy and petty cash.

Holding a car wash

One suggestion was to partner with a fire station, holding the event at
their location and splitting the profits.

Kristine Copley volunteered to head up working toward this event.

Greg Farley suggested selling snacks or soft drinks from a tent at a Bucs or
Lightning game.

Blindness Equality and Awareness Month (formerly Meet the Blind Month)

Yvonne mentioned that the Italian Club in Ybor City has a ground floor
cantina available where we could hold an educational event.

We sang Happy Birthday to Miranda, and then held our 50/50 drawing which was
won by Louise Peyton. She received $71, and generously donated $30 back to
the chapter.

The meeting was adjourned at 1:45.

Respectfully submitted

Sherrill O'Brien, Secretary

Tampa Bay Chapter

813-935-0474, cell 813-767-1890

email Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net <mailto:Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net>

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you bac