[NFBF-Tampa] Minutes of Tampa Bay Chapter Meeting 240323

danjhicks at gmail.com danjhicks at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 22:10:28 UTC 2024

Tampa Bay Chapter

National Federation of the Blind

Minutes for Chapter Meeting

March 23, 2014

The meeting was held at Beef 'O'Brady's Restaurant, 8810 North Himes Avenue,
Tampa, Florida.

The meeting was called to order at 12:03 PM by the President, Miranda Kilby.

Next we had a presentation about PlanHillsborough
http://www.planhillsborough.org. Our speakers were: They were: Sarah Capper,
capers at plancom.org <mailto:capers at plancom.org> ; Beneetta Jose,
joseb at plancom.org <mailto:joseb at plancom.org> ; Yassert Gonzales, Manager,
Economics, Demographics, and Research, Hillsborough County City-County
Planning Commission, gonzalezy at plancom.org <mailto:gonzalezy at plancom.org> ,
which used to be the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO).

PlanHillsborough is conducting a survey called Hillsborough Long Range
Transportation Plan (LRTP) will establish priorities for transportation
investments over the next 25 years. It is available online until April 15 at
http://www.Access2050.org.

It is not as accessible as they had hoped it would be. The speakers brough
surveys in print, for those who could use them. The purpose of the survey is
to find out what should be stressed in improving transportation in
Hillsborough County. Those who take  the survey could win concert, sports,
or museum tickets, and more. There was some discussion.

The NFB Pledge was spoken by the membership.

Treasurer Dan Hicks read the Treasurer's Report. Our balance is currently
$4946.72.

The motion to approve the report was made by Marion Gwizdala, seconded by
Chapter Board member Scott Greenblatt.

The Minutes from the our previous meeting were approved as emailed. Motion
by Barbara Gaw and Seconded by Louise Peyton. The Minutes from our January
meeting are still tabled. Dan moved to re-table them, seconded by Scott.

Miranda gave her President's Report: The convention planning meetings will
be taking place. The meeting for the State Convention is chaired by Peggy
Fleisher. Camille Tate will host the meeting having to do with the National
Convention. There is an open Board Meeting for the State Affiliate, tomorrow
night. This is the first meeting to be hosted by the new NFBF President,
Jorje Hernandez. There are problems with some member not receiving messages
from our email list. Mireanda is looking into that;.

Quanese Sparkman as voted in as a member. Motion by Scott, Second by Marion.

Activities Chairperson Yvonne Rosanelli mentioned some activities the
chapter might want to take part in. The Tampa Bay History Museum has offered
to take our members through the museum for a special tour. They have Fridays
available, but will try to accommodate a visit on Saturday, if we wish. The
Salvadore Dali Museum in St. Petersburg is offering a special tour of the
museum and gift shop.

Miranda mentioned that we are also looking at Side-Splitters Comedy Club. We
might get a group rate.

Several members were interested in the Tampa History Museum, fewer in the
Dali Museum. We will look at going to a comedy club in June or July.

Marion said that, thanks to Scott, we can now use the Movit App to pay for
Yellow Cab rides. However, you cannot use the app to tip the driver.

Marion said the this coming Monday at Noon, Miranda, Scott, Merry Schoch,
and he, will be meeting with the CEO of HART and a city council member to
address problems with the inaccessibility of the HART Plus application.

Louise Peyton asked that this group also bring up the fact that some HART
Plus drivers do not leave their vans to pick up their passengers. Service is
supposed to be door-to-door. Marion said he would mention that short
falling.

Marion said that as many of us as can should attend the next HART meeting.

Miranda asked who would be going to the National Convention in Orlando.
There were several who will be attending at least part of the convention.

Miranda thanked Marion for participation in the St Patrick's day fundraiser.
Even though it did not go as planned, Marion is doing well now.

A few other online events and possible fundraisers were discussed as
possibilities.

Marion will look into placing orders for other affiliates or chapters for
shirts. We would not have to handle inventory, but we could make a profit.

Miranda asked for suggestions about how to get more people involved in the
chapter and in the NFB. She asked for us all to think about that topic and
offer suggestions in the future. For instance, we might display at an
upcoming health fair or a similar event.

Marion said on July 26, the Hillsborough Alliance for Citizens with
Disabilities is having a talent show at Maestro's at the Straz Center.

Dan mentioned a previous plan to donate ten per cent of the proceeds from
our Stronger Together Concert to the NFBF treasury. It would be a donation
of $225.00. The group approved it and Miranda will send Dan an
authorization.

The meeting was adjourned at 1:30 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Dan Hicks, Treasurer