[NFBF-Tampa] HART ADA Advisory Committee Meeting

sgreenblatt76 at gmail.com sgreenblatt76 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 10:08:21 UTC 2024

Good morning, Tampa chapter. I couldn't sleep so I decided to jump onto my
computer to get some things accomplished. First of all, I downloaded the
Hart Plus application and reviewed it to determine what exactly is contained
within the document and how easy/frustrating it might be to fill out over
the phone with a HART Plus worker since up until now that is the only
accessibility option that they offer.

First and foremost, I was astounded that the PDF document which is available
as a download to fill out wasn't even made accessible for sighted
individuals in that there are no editable fields within the document for
someone to activate with a mouse to fill in their information. Likewise, all
of the questions which require an applicant to check off a box for an option
that concerns his/her personal condition are not clickable elements. THE
ENTIRE DOCUMENT IS MENT TO BE PRINTED OUT AND FILLED IN BY HAND! What is
even funnier is that it states very clearly towards the beginning of the
document that HART will "not accept copies, faxes or scans. If any sections
are faxed or left blank, then the application will not be processed." I find
this absolutely ridiculous because in order for any visually impaired person
to fill out this application independently we would have to OCR this
document and then paste it into Word in order to fill it out and from the
text on the application it sounds like such an application might be
dismissed out of hand. In addition, how much easier would it be for all
applicants and HART to make this document an accessible PDF file which can
be filled out on a computer and then submitted over a computer directly to a
HART email address? There is also another section in the application that
literally questions who helped an applicant fill out the application; "was
it a friend, relative, or a professional?" From this it seems like they know
their form is not accessible and they don't really care. In truth the reason
why this statement is present is more likely due to the fact that persons
with cognitive disabilities have the right to use this service and such
persons may not be capable of filling out such an application independently.

          As I continued to read through the document it seems to me that
most of what they are asking for is simple enough but also concerns a
person's private information. Of course, the person who approves submitted
applications will be reading your information, but it seems like a betrayal
of a person's privacy to force them to tell a stranger from HART all about
their physical/psychological conditions in order to fill in all the required
information that they are requesting. For some people talking about their
condition as someone with a disability is not an agreeable task and by
forcing someone with a visual impairment to fill out this form with a
stranger from HART, if they don't have a friend, relative, or professional
to help them out, is quite an imposition.

It may be within the letter of the law to make this document accessible by
making sure someone from HART will assist in filling out this application,
but it certainly isn't within the spirit of the ADA to help people with
disabilities live their lives independently with as much privacy as they
desire. I know that I pride myself on being as independent as possible, and
this means managing all of my affairs on my own with all the technology that
gives me the freedom to do so, so especially when it comes to filling out
forms related to applications for service or medical forms, I'm adamant
about doing such things alone.

I hope my assessment of the HART Plus application has been helpful to you
and that you take the opportunity to show up on Feb 15 to stand with Marion
and the NFB to champion our right to live independently with pride in
ourselves and our right to privacy. Just in case any of you want to review
the HART Plus application and make your own judgement on what information
they are requesting a stranger to help you fill out I've attached it to this
message for your review. Lance and I will hopefully see you on the 15th.

Scott Greenblatt

8134601606

Sgreenblatt76 at gmail.com