[NFBF-Tampa] Tampa Bay Chapter Meeting Minutes January 2024

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Sat Feb 24 02:53:31 UTC 2024

Tampa Bay Chapter

Chapter Meeting Minutes

January 27, 2024

Beef O ' Brady's

8810 North Himes Avenue

Tampa, Florida

The meeting was called to order by President Miranda Kilby at 12:42PM.

Everyone introduced themselves. There were  13 persons in attendance, and 2
participating via Zoom for a total of 15.

Secretary and Treasurer Reports

A motion was made by  Barbara, seconded by Merry, to approve the  October
2023 meeting minutes as emailed. The motion passed.

Dan gave the treasurer's report. Our current balance is $4450.24.

A motion was made by Merry, seconded by Shanti, to accept the treasurer's
report as read. The motion passed.

Miranda said she is pleased that our chapter is gaining new members.

President's Report

Miranda informed the chapter that Paul Martinez has submitted his
resignation as the president of the National Federation of the Blind of
Florida (NFbF.). 1st Vice President Jorge Hernandez is now serving as the
interim president, with Camille Tate now serving as interim 1st vice
president.

Miranda said that NFBF Secretary Kay Baker is the liason to our chapter from
the state Board.

Miranda encouraged everyone to participate in nFBF's special interest
meetings which are held throughout each month.

Chapter Elections

Miranda reminded us that elections will be held at our February meeting, and
that we must pay our annual dues of $10 by the beginning of that meeting to
be eligible to vote.

Scott Greenblat asked about the differences between being a member and
holding a Board position. Marion asked whether a member can   vote in an
election via Zoom. Miranda said it's permissible, and we did it last year.

Old Business

Miranda said that our chapter polo shirts have arrived, and she will
distribute them following the meeting. She thanked Marion for taking on this
project.

Goals and activities for 2024

Louise:

attend the Gasparilla parade as a chapter

raise funds by selling beer or water

Marion:

chapter should encourage HART to make their HARTPlus paratransit application
accessible as soon as possible

Marion is a member of HART's  ADA Accessibility Committee. He invited
chapter members to attend  their next meting on February 15 at 1:30 in their
Ybor City building. He said he hopes some  members will speak during the
time alotted for public comments.

Marion:

attend Marion's St. Patrick's Day performance from 3:30 to 6:30 at O'Toole's
Pub in Brandon

He will donate all tips he makes to our chapter

Yvonne:

attend a show at the same comedy club in Ybor City as we did in the past

Yvonne:

attend History Museum in Tampa with a private docent

have lunch at the Colombia Restaurant located in the same building

Our 50/50 fundraiser drawing was won by Louise Peyton, who received $30.

Our next meeting will be held on February 24 at Beef O'Brady's.

A motion was made by Merry, seconded by Scott, to adjourn the meeting. The
motion passed. We adjourned at 1:50PM.

Respectfully submitted

Sherrill O'Brien, Secretary

Tampa Bay Chapter

Phone 813-935-0474, cell 813-767-1890

email Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net <mailto:Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net>

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you back.