[NFBF-Tampa] Urgent! Suggestion for January Meeting

marion.gwizdala at verizon.net marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Mon Jan 8 14:49:32 UTC 2024

Dear All,

                Most of you know I am a professional musician. Last year I
missed our chapter meeting because I was busking during the Gasparilla
parade in front of Curtis Hixon Park. Busking is basically street performing
for tips. FYI, I made about $100 that day!

                I say this because Gasparilla would be an incredible
opportunity for the Tampa Bay Chapter to get some great free exposure and
make a little money in the doing! I will attend the chapter meeting this
year, no matter what that looks like but I am willing to set up and busk
again this year and give my tips to the chapter. But wait! There's more!

                I do not have all the logistical details yet but we could,
at the least, just hang out at the parade while I perform and talk to
people, give them  literature, and maybe even sell soda and/or water! Think
of this: Last year I was just a musician performing for tips and made $100
in about one hour. If we do this and people know they are supporting the
chapter, I am certain they will give more. And if we can sell stuff, that
would be even better. Here's a true story from last year.

                Gasparilla is a wet zone; you may have open containers of
alcohol anywhere within a reasonable vicinity of the celebrations. I had a
6-pack of my favorite IPA and someone offered to buy one from me for $5.00.
I told him I could not sell him a beer but I would be happy to give him a
beer. "You know I am playing for tips, right?" I gave him a beer, played a
song, and he dropped a picture of President Lincoln in my tip jar!

So, what would you think of meeting as a chapter in front of Curtis Hixon
Waterfront Park, passing out literature, making some money, and enjoying a
uniquely Tampa tradition? Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Fraternally yours,

Marion