[NFBF-Tampa] Tampa Bay Chapter meeting minutes October 2023

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Sat Jan 27 11:06:09 UTC 2024

Greetings all,

Here are the minutes of our last meeting, which seems like a long time ago .
that's because it was!

But we sure had wonderful chapter fellowship, sharing food, drink, singing
and fun at our holiday party at Merry and Marion's.

Here's wishing our chapter a happy and productive 2024!

Sherrill

Tampa Bay Chapter

Chapter Meeting Minutes

October 28, 2023

Beef O ' Brady's

8810 North Himes Avenue

Tampa, Florida

The meeting was called to order by President Miranda Kilby at 12:24pM.

Everyone introduced themselves, including those attending via Zoom, and
several guests. There were  16 persons in attendance.

We said the NFB pledge together.

Secretary and Treasurer Reports

A motion was made by  Merry, seconded by Barbara, to approve the September
meeting minutes as emailed. The motion passed. Sherrill thanked Dan for
stepping in to write and send out the meeting minutes in her absence.

Dan gave the treasurer's report. Our current balance is $4,871.92. We raised
$85 at  our Chick-Fil-A Spirit Night fundraiser. The final total raised
through our Stronger Together concert event, which included donations,
ticket sales, silent auction and 50/50 raffle was $2,045.24. A motion was
made by Merry, seconded by Barbara, to accept the treasurer's report as
read. The motion passed.

President's Report

Miranda said that our Stronger Together concert, held on October 5 in
conjunction with our state convention in Tampa, was a great success. She
thanked Marion for his many hours of work with the band, made up almost
entirely of blind musicians, which resulted in a very poignant and
entertaining  concert. Miranda noted that holding the raffle and auction
along with the concert was a great idea. She thanked everyone who helped to
put on this chapter fundraiser. She said there were twelve businesses that
contributed in some way to this effort. She plans to send out thank-you
cards with Braille on them. A discussion of the concert followed.

Miranda mentioned that the annual Tampa Mayor's Alliance awards luncheon
will be held on November 17. It is important for us to recognize and support
this community event of which ADA coordinator Raquel Pancho is in charge.

Social Activities

As coordinator of our social activities, Yvonne mentioned various events
which are either already scheduled or which are possibilities.

Our bowling event at Pin Chasers is scheduled for November 11. Miranda
thanked her for procuring a bowling rail for us. Yvonne will send out an
email with the following ideas for possible places and activities  we might
enjoy together:

Yvonne:

History Museum where there are docents and some exhibits with audio
descriptions

Salvador Dali museum in St. Petersburg

ferry trip from Tampa to St. Petersburg to have lunch

Kristine: trip to Zoo Tampa

Marion: through an app, an audio described Wednesday matinee Broadway show
at the Straz Center

Chapter members were then invited to come to Yvonne and George Rosanelli's
house at noon on January 1 to share the special occasion of the wedding of
Merry and Marion.

Fundraising

Yvonne has located a company that can embroider the NFB logo on shirts for
our chapter. We will once again order them in yellow. The cost for each
Shirt is $25. Miranda asked that members let her know by December if they
would like to place an order. Those doing so will reimburse the chapter. We
should have them in time for our January meeting.

Marion suggested that we look into selling the shirts in bulk to other
chapters

Barbara said she had talked with Yvonne about gathering up chapter pictures
to make a custom calendar. It could either be sold or given as a thank-you
to donors/supporters. Kristine suggested we approach businesses about
purchasing ads for the calendar and pointed out that we already have a start
with the twelve businesses which supported  our Stronger Together concert.
To have the calendars made, we could contact The company VistaPrint, which
gives a discount to nonprofits.

We will continue to look into this idea for a fundraising project.

NFB National Convention

Miranda announced that the national convention in July of 2024 will return
to the Rosen Center Hotel in Orlando. She said we should start thinking
about attending and also how we might volunteer.

Elections

Miranda said chapter dues need to be paid at the January meeting, and we
will hold elections at our February meeting. Elections will be held for
President, Secretary, and the two Board positions currently held by Yvonne
Rosanelli and Sewar Quneibi.

Miranda announced that she will not seek another term as president. She said
she would consider serving for one more year only if the chapter is in
danger of dissolving.

Our 50/50 fundraiser drawing was won by Barbara Gaw, who received $30.

We will not hold a chapter meeting in November.

Barbara Gaw once again graciously offered to host our holiday party at her
house on December 2.

Our next meeting will be held on January 28, 2024, at Beef O'Brady's.

The meeting was adjourned at 1:55PM.

Respectfully submitted

Sherrill O'Brien, Secretary

Tampa Bay Chapter

Phone 813-935-0474, cell 813-767-1890

email Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net <mailto:Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net>

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you back.