[NFBF-Tampa] service Animal Hotline Marks Bittersweet Achievement

marion.gwizdala at verizon.net marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Fri Jul 26 17:57:16 UTC 2024

Please circulate the following message as widely as appropriate. If you
received this message as a forward and would like to be added to our
distribution list, please sign up for our advocacy insider's email group.
<https://serviceanimals.info/BecomeaPartner.html>

Service animal hotline marks bittersweet achievement

On March 15, 2022, Advocates for service Animal Partners launched the only
24-hour service animal hotline in the United States. On July 25, 2024,
ASAP211 received its 500th & 501st call!

"It is a bittersweet accomplishment," remarks Marion Gwizdala, ASAP's CEO
and the organization's lead advocate. "Today we commemorate the 34th
anniversary of the signing of the Americans with Disabilities act and
yesterday two service dog handlers faced the discrimination this law
prohibits!"

The 500th call the hotline received was from a disabled woman in the Florida
panhandle who had been turned away by several homeless shelters because of
her service dog. The 501st call was from a woman in the Los Angeles area who
was standing outside a hospital while her father was being resuscitated in
the emergency room because the charge nurse told the security officers that
no pets were allowed. In both cases ASAP's advocates were able to resolve
the callers access challenges within one hour and each !

According to state and federal laws, disabled individuals accompanied by
their service dogs must be allowed access to any area open to the general
public, with very few exceptions. No special gear or identification can be
required as a condition of access but businesses are allowed to inquire
about what tasks the dog is trained to perform. Service dogs must be under
the control of their handlers and be kept on a leash or tether unless a
leash or tether interferes with the work the dog is trained to perform.
Service dogs that are out of control, pose a direct threat to the health or
safety of others, are disruptive to the business, or are not housebroken may
be removed from a business. Allergies or fear of dogs is not a reason to
exclude a service animal. In several states, misrepresenting a pet as a
trained service dog is a criminal offense.

Advocates for Service Animal Partners (ASAP is the only organization in the
United States whose sole mission is to support, protect, and enhance the
civil rights of service animal handlers and the businesses we patronize.
ASAP operates a 24-hour service animal information and resource hotline -
855-ASAP211 (855-272-7211). This one-of-a-kind hotline offers guidance to
apply state and federal civil rights laws concerning service animals to
specific situations. ASAP also provides educational workshops and webinars
to the general public, policymaking services, protocol implementation, and
in-service training concerning service animals to the healthcare,
hospitality, transportation, and retail industries. For ongoing information
about advocates for service Animal Partners and to support our work, please
sign up for our advocacy insider's group.
<https://serviceanimals.info/BecomeaPartner.html>

You may also contact our business office at 386-ASAP411 (386-272-7411) or
email us at

Advocacy411 at gmail.com <mailto:Advocacy411 at gmail.com>

Marion Gwizdala, President/CEO

(He/His/Him)

Advocates for Service Animal Partners Inc. (ASAP)

Office: 386-ASAP411 (386-272-7411)

Hotline: 855-ASAP211 (855-272-7211)

 <mailto:Advocacy411 at gmail.com> Advocacy411 at gmail.com

ServiceAnimals.info