[NFBF-Tampa] Blind Gardening Hack

marion.gwizdala at verizon.net marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Thu May 9 13:46:21 UTC 2024

Dear All,

                We suspect we will harvest more than we are able to eat or
preserve. We would rather pay them forward rather than compost them! There
is an adage in the field of "Harvest early; harvest often!" The earlier you
begin harvesting the more the plant is encouraged to produce. Sometimes
unripe fruit is picked resulting in a larger harvest. As we harvest our
crops and begin giving them away, let us know and we will bring fresh picked
produce to share. You can it forward by giving what you feel its value is to
the chapter! Here's where we are right now with our garden.

1.	We have begun harvesting yellow squash and our crop of them seem to
be pretty prolific. We have five plants and each will likely produce about
ten squash.
2.	Of the two acorn squash, only one has survived but it is very
healthy. We are not expecting many this season but have the experience for a
larger yield next season.
3.	I have three cantaloupes but I am not sure how many we will get from
them as they struggled a bit in the beginning. Gardening teaches life
lessons like learning through your challenges and being patient with the
process.
4.	Of all the squash, I am most excited about our butternut! As a
winter squash characterized by its thick outer layer, winter squash is
so-called for its ability to stay fresh through winter. Not only is
butternut squash great for soups, casseroles, and pies, slicing one in half,
seasoning it with a bit of seasoned salt, pepper, and olive oil, it is an
excellent side dish! They also make great decorations during the fall!
5.	In the near future, we will have an abundance of garlic. Merry has
lost count of how many we have but I'll bet it numbers near triple digits!
6.	Our Florida peach tree is loaded with small fuzzy fruit which
appeared after the 1-year-old tree now about 12-feet in height was covered
with fragrant pink flowers.I believe peaches will be on the give-away table.
7.	We have about 20 Kentucky Wonder string beans on a 4-foot fence and
you can almost see them (well, feel them) growing they are doing so quickly.
This is another very prolific producer, so count on string beans!
8.	I am going to be selfish with our first harvest of blueberries, as
their first harvests are not very plentiful. Next year at this time will be
a very different story, I hope!
9.	Beefsteak tomatoes, anyone? I do have more tomatoes than I know what
to do with! These tomatoes sell for nearly $6.00/pound in the grocery store.
They are very large and star-shaped. The plant would be 10-feet tall if it
were able to be supported but it's growing over the fence and the neighbors
will likely have a few tomatoes, as well. It's also encroaching into another
bed, so its presence is short-lived, as tomato plants are!
10.	Coming soon! This weekend we will start snap peas and another
variety of pea I don't remember. In June we will begin our sweet potato box
and July will have us establishing a pumpkin patch. These will be Somerset
pumpkins which are sweet edible gords. I am seriously considering a patch
for jack-o-lanterns but not sure where I can find that much room! Merry is
not in favor of my idea of a giant pumpkin (400-pound) patch in the front
yard, though!

	Though Merry and I have the room for these gardens and the energy to
care for them, it is possible to garden on your patio if you only live in an
apartment. Food we get from our garden tastes very different than what you
generally get in the produce market unless you are shopping at a local
farmer. Most of us know the difference between the strawberries from Mexico
we were buying in October and the ones that we may have had over the past
three months from Plant City! BTW, you can find locally grown blueberries
this time of year, as well and blueberries are great container plants!

	                I'm going to get my day started after I turn off the
microirrigation system! Keep planting seeds, growing your own harvest, and
sharing the fruits of your labor with others!

	Fraternally yours,

	Marion

	We are hoping to have a gathering when our lives settle down a bit -
definitely in the fall

11.
12.
13.	From: NFBF-Tampa <nfbf-tampa-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Louise