[NFBFTtreasure-Coast] Chapter Treasury and Constitution

NFBFL Treasure Coast treasurecoastnfb at gmail.com
Tue May 25 22:55:07 UTC 2021

Hello,

Again, I want there to be full transparency.  Yes, at the first board meting and chapter meeting I presided over as President, I did bring up the constitution and bank account.  These are important things that need to be addressed as soon as there is a new administration.  Also, it was discussed with the state board and other chapters in regards to changing the constitution so that there wil not be a change of the entire board every year.  This is a topic that many other chapters who have elections every year are working to going to two year terms and have it as alternate positions, therefore, attain, there will not be a new board every election.

In addition, the want and need to have the banking information changed as soon as possible is urgent and important, especially if you look at our chapter dynamics.  Our most recent Preside3nt passed away, the former Treasurer has moved out of state and the former Vice President is in the process of moving out of state.  Therefore, we need to have current leadership on the account.  At this time, we do not have any bank tatements from September 2020.  This is not acceptable nor good business practice.

As I shared, I have recently became the Treasurer of the NFB Deaf Blind Division for the state and when I took this position, there was no bank account nor bank statements for the entire year of 2020.  So, I had a cashiers check but no record as to where the funds came from or how they were established.  We have to turn in a report at the beginning of the year for the previous year with all of our expenses along with bank statements.  So, this is difficult to do when you do not have the documents or access to receiving them.  So, I do not want to see our chapter go through what we just went through in the Deaf Blind Division.

I have been. A member of the NFB since 1985 when I was 5 years old.  I have assisted in creating chapters and held numerous leadership positions within the organization.  So, if I was trying to hide anything or be misleading to the membership of our chapter, i wold not have pushed to have a third individual on the bank account, especially since our constitution only calls for the Treasurer and President.

This is a constitution that was created by many of you and followed for years, so I am not understanding what the problem is, and if it is be3cause I am new, I apologize for that, but I simply deserve a chance to serve you and until I do something wrong or deceiving, I am hurt that this has gotten out of control.

However, I will bring this up in our meeting in June and if we decide to vote to change the constitution, we can begin that process in August, but at the current moment, we will have to follow what is currently written and approved by the membership and that’s is the current constitution.

I hope that this ca be resolved, as it is only for protocol and consistent with local, state and national constitutions.

If you have any questions, lease feel free to contact me.

Thank you
Nicole

Nicole D. Fincham-Shehan
President