[Nfbj] Sight through sound

Felicitas Payk felicitas.payk at t-online.de
Thu Feb 4 18:09:11 UTC 2010

Dear list,
I want to forward you an article I found on the net. This is amazing! The
link is www.cfhu.org/node/738
You can also listen to a video on Youtube, but I cannot find the link,
unfortunately. But if you enter "Sight through sound", you'll find it.s
I wonder whether they might still need testers! That would be a good excuse
to finally travel to Israel.;-)
I have copied the article below this email.
Best,
Feli

press x to close

ec Science Article: "The Sound of Sight"

The sound of sight                                  November 2009

Blind people are finally emerging from the darkness-thanks to their ears.

Click here for the French version of the article

By Pascale Millot

Dorit Chen can read Hebrew and English. She can draw simple pictures. She
can find her shoes and locate many other objects. She is even able to teach
her 5-year-old son the alphabet. Nothing so unusual there: most 31-year-old
women can do these things, but Dorit has been blind from birth. Until very
recently, she lived in total darkness. Then, she met Amir Amedi.

A researcher at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and a member of the
recently founded IMRIC (Institute for Medical Research Israel-Canada), Amir
Amedi has invented a device that can literally make the blind see. And,
although this is happening in the Holy Land, it is not a repeat of the
miracle Jesus performed 2000 years ago when he healed the blind man at
Jericho.

Instead, Amedi's so-called vOICe device is the result of many years of
cutting-edge research at the crossroads of neuroscience and computer
engineering. The vOICe system is comprised of a webcam that captures images,
and software that uses a complicated algorithm to convert those images into
sounds. "The images become sounds of varying frequency, volume, length and
strength. Together, these sounds form a mathematical, three-dimensional
representation of the objects," Amedi explains.

In just a few weeks, Dorit has learned to decipher this sound code. Now, as
she listens to the strange noises coming through her headphones, she is able
to interpret their meaning and draw the corresponding shapes and letters on
a piece of paper.

Would one therefore be justified in saying that she can see? "It is hard to
say if, by using our system, her perception of objects is the same as that
of a sighted person. But another patient, Beth Fletscher, who lost her sight
when she was 20, has said that, as far as she can tell, what she perceives
through the vOICe system is quite similar to what she used to see."

This is exactly what the Israeli researcher wanted to achieve. Even so, when
using imaging equipment to examine the brain of their subjects, Amedi and
his team were amazed to see that the sound code they had devised was
processed by the subjects' visual rather than auditory cortex, where sound
information is usually processed. "Conversely," continued Amedi, "there was
no evidence of activity in their visual cortex when we had them listen to a
cat meowing or a cock crowing." The conclusion is that Amedi's sounds are,
in fact, processed by that part of the brain usually devoted to object
recognition. For this particular neuroscientist, it merely serves to confirm
the extraordinary adaptability of the human brain.

At the Université de Montréal's School of Optometry, Maurice Ptito and
Franco Lepori were among those who discovered that tactile information can
be relayed to a blind person's visual cortex. This means they can be said to
"see with their tongue," just as Amedi's device enables them to "see with
their ears." "Our studies have clearly shown that a blind person's visual
cortex performs other functions, specifically those associated with verbal
memory," explains Amedi. This is equally true for people who are blind from
birth as for those who became blind later in life.

The results of Amedi's research have been published in collaboration with
American and Dutch researchers in the prestigious journal Nature
Neuroscience. Eventually, Amedi hopes to develop high-tech glasses that
would convert visual information into auditory signals. For the
approximately 45 million blind people in the world, that would be a real
miracle!

The Institute for Medical Research Israel-Canada (IMRIC) opened in June 2009
at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Québec Science was invited by the
Canadian Friends of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem to meet Israeli
researchers on this occasion. One of the centre's goals is to facilitate
collaboration between Canadian and Israeli researchers.