[Nfbj] An amazing woman

Judith Bron jbron at optonline.net
Tue Jun 29 15:10:08 UTC 2010

Sorry about the last message.  I'm pasting it below.  Enjoy, Judith

On many occassion on my visits to Mrs. Margalit Brand, AH, I wished & longed to

question her on the secret of her longevity. According to the many stories of

tzaddikim I heard this sounded like its one of them. A woman is zoche to a ripe

old age surviving 3 wars, bombing in Budapest and is still on her two feet. Yes,

she used a walker for balance and support. She was in her own home, eating

everything we wish we could goulash, paprikash, apple shtrudle, polachinta and

hobort krumpli - potatoes. No allergies, hypertension, diabetes, heart

condition. The only thing she needed was a laxative. Probably fiber in diet...

The secret of her Arichas Yamim was disclosed to me when I went to be menachem

avel her children. The story is as follows:

Many, many years ago, about 100 years ago, give or take a couple years, my dear

friend Margalit was a young girl in a Shtetle in Hungary. One day a boy was

fooling around with a leather strap whishing and whipping it in the air.

Unfortunately a tragedy occured, the whip hit her eye directly and she was soon

blinded in one eye. Lo Oleinu. In their limited circumstances not much could be

done about it. She was barred from school, the doctor fearing strain on her

remaining eye might damage remaining eye. But she secretly read...

Her father disheartened and broken asked the Rebbe Yeshayele Kerestirer if they

should pursue the boy and his family for the irreperable damages done to their

young and innocent daughter? Summon them to Din Torah or perhaps sue them in

court for damages?

No, said the Rebbe, don't do that. "Don't worry, she will live a long life!" the

Rebbe exclaimed. What a zchia!

And so it was, besides for cataract surgery and after the first 100 years

subsequent blindness, she lived 107 1/2 healthy years and passed away this past

Thusday (June 17) Beshaiva Tova with Nachas, grandchildren and great

grandchildren living and learning in Lakewood.

Until age 90 she kneaded her own dough and baked her own Challos lekovod

Shabbos. What a zchia!

A real Uriember, proper and decorous, she offered a chair and choclates or

cookies to her visitors and thanked us profusely for coming to see her. She sang

us Sol O Kokosh and truly waited for the redemption-ven es vet lichtig veren.

The darkness (blindness) frustrated her so.  We also sang Nemles Mindig: Es vet

nisht altz tinkel zein, es vet nuch lechtig veren, a folk song my grandmother

taught me that she sang as a young girl with the other girls, fellow inmates in

the concentration camps while doing grueling labor for the Nazis. What darkness!

We had the zchia to know her. She had the zchus of a Rebbes brocha! Until

Nowadays-Heintige Tzeitten! CSR