[NFBJ] Inclusion of Jews Who Are Observant of Jewish Traditional Practices

Stewart Prost sprost82 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 20:47:27 UTC 2021

Greetings,
In thinking about being as inclusive as possible, I want to have the NFB
consider the practices of observant or traditional Jews.  A traditional or
observant Jew is an individual who observes the practices of traditional
judaism.  These practices will vary from individual to individual.  Here
are general examples of traditional Jewish practises:

   - Observance of Shabbat (the Sabbath).  Shabbat traditionally runs from
   just.before sunset Friday evening to just after sunset Saturday evening.
   This time is considered holy by observant Jews and is therefore
   differentiated from the rest of the week.  During this time, some people
   will not drive or use any motorized transportation, will not use
   electronics, or attend to regular business activities.  Again these
   practises will vary from individual to individual and from denomination to
   denomination.  (There have been some changes in practises due to the
   pandemic.)  these same practises are followed during major holidays which
   include the following:
      - Rosh Hashanah (The Jewish New Year)
      - Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement)
      - Sukkot (Feast of Tabernacles)-the first two and last two days of an
      eight day holiday)
      - Pesach (Passover-first two and last two days of an eight day
      holiday)
      - Shavuot (Feast of Weeks)
   - Special dietary practices, referred to as Kashrut or keeping Kosher.
   In general, this includes separation of milk and meat, not eating pork or
   shellfish, and eating meat that is produced in a special way.  Some people
   who keep kosher will eat out fish and vegetarian dishes out, others will
   not.

  What I have described above is very basic and does not include
everything, nor can I go into detail of the thinking behind all of these
practices.  I also want to make it clear that there are many Jews who do
not follow all or even part of the practices I describe ablove.  Therefore,
there are people who identify as Jews and do not follow all or part of the
practices described above.

At the last meeting of the NFB in Judaism, there were people stating that
they were not able to attend NFB meeting because the meetings took place on
Saturday.  Also, at the last meeting of the Diversity and Inclusion
Committee on March 8, President Riccobono indicated that some people who
identified as Mulslim were concerned with the dates of the 2022 NFB
National Convention.  I have found myself having to make a choice between
Jewish and Federation activities, both important in my life.  I wish to let
people know that I do not personally follow all of the practices I have
described above.

Here are some suggestions that  I have that could make NFB activities more
inclusive to observant Jews:

   - Particularly, in an area of the country with a relatively high Jewish
   population, consider not holding chapter or affiliate activities on
   Saturday, choosing instead either Sunday afternoon or during the week.  At
   the very least, when possible, avoid having activities on Saturday morning,
   as this is when services are held.  (This would be the same as holding
   activities on Sunday morning when many people attend church services.)
   Consideration should be given to not holding NFB activities on major
   Jewish holidays.
   -  If meals are a part of any activity, offer either to arrange for
   kosher food or at least a fish, vegetarian or vegan option.  For those
   people who choose not to eat out in non-kosher settings, allow them to
   arrange or bring in there own food to enjoy with others.
   - If invocations are a part of a lNFB activity, such as a state
   convention, Jewish members may be invited to lead some of the invocations
   as other religious groups are invited.
   - The NFB should stand ready to advocate for our Jewish members to be
   full participants in the activities of the Jewish community.

I realize that Jews are a minority in our country and In the NFB.
Therefore, I propose my suggestions for inclusion, realizing that it would
not be fair or possible to insist on these practices.  For example, I am
president of the Tidewater Chapter in Southeastern Virginia.  Because of
transportation issues it is not reasonable to hold chapter meetings any
other day but Saturday.  We do have the meetings in the afternoon.  These
are my ideas for increased inclusion and outreach to people who are
Jewish.  This represents my ideas aone.  I welcome comments and thoughts of
others.  I feel strongly that the NFB has alot to offer to blind people.  I
look forward  to any feedback anyone has.  My contact information is
below.

Warm Regards,
Stewart Prost
Email: sprost82 at gmail.com