[NFBJ] Learning Hebrew

Ricky Lomey rickyl at iafrica.com
Wed Jan 19 22:09:33 UTC 2022

Hi,

Why does the printed edition of the Hebrew braille manuals not contain pictures or is there any way to find pictures of both the braille Hebrew alphabet and how it corrolates to the Hebrew braille alphabet for the benefit of sighted folks? In English there are cards with such and my late dad tried to learn grade 1 braille, otherwise not sure how to explain to sighted folks how Hebrew braille works, I think I heard the Central Library for the Blind in Israel teaches sighted people to transcribe braille. I think we had a science teacher here who could also read braille with his eyes but not sure, otherwise not sure as I don't really read Hebrew braille, prefer hands-on, wish I could find some place that offers Hebrew braille tutoring in person, not sure how long I'd take to learn as here both English and Afrikaans braille took me eight years to learn fully as I got to grade five and still wasn't sure what certain words were in grade two braille even though I'd been learning it and using it daily for two years then but still couldn't always understand what I was reading in magazines at that time. I use a screen reader and not  abraille display on my computer and phones, never really used a braille display, also concerned why some sighted folks are suggesting braille is done due to technology and not sure if they check the links I sent to let them seehow it is incorporated and I was also told I don't need to give any evidence to them of anything as it's not my problem if they want to have that opinion even though it's very ignorant on their part.

Ricky Lomey