[NFBJ] Yiddish braille

mlevy at verse-onality.com mlevy at verse-onality.com
Tue Sep 15 19:43:37 UTC 2026


Let's not put the horse before the cart.

To read, write and speak Yiddish from a braille text, you must bea fluent Hebrfew Baille   Braille reader.

Thought:

We need a Yiddish braille primmer which 

Is designed for American Jewish  blind who already read English and Hebrew Braille

Explains how Yiddish is written in inkprint Hbrew

Transition to Yiddish Braille reading

Offers lessons in yidish braile that progress from the simple to the complex

This might require cowd-sourcing or a grant.

I can't do this, gbbut let's find out

How many people are there in the United states who WANT TO ELARN  Yiddish braille?

Not an estimate or gestimate

A list of REAL PEOPLE NAMES.

I would not be  on that list.

Michael Levy

-----Original Message-----
From: NFBJ <nfbj-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Daveed Mandell via NFBJ
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2026 1:06 PM
To: nfbj at nfbnet.org
Cc: Daveed Mandell <daveedmandell at gmail.com>
Subject: [NFBJ] Yiddish braille

A gentleman here in Berkeley is offering to teach Yiddish. He wants to know at what level people would like to learn, how much experience people have already had with the language. He would like people to acquire a textbook from the Yiddish Book Center called In Eynem. To my knowledge, and I might be wrong, JBI Library does not provide any braille books in Yiddish. Again, a big problem!



Moving to another issue, someone recommended a Sefardi songbook for me. The book is filled with amazing songs and many Piyutim. Many of the songs are in various languages, not just Hebrew. Other languages include Arabic, Turkish, Greek, Armenian, and Farsi. I am sure that JBI Library has not transcribed this book in braille.


Recently, I was going to attend a Jewish renewal service. Somebody asked me if I could get a Jewish renewal Siddur in braille. No, there is no such thing at the moment.


Are there other organizations that provide such material in other countries? 
If a blind Jew in France wants to obtain a braille Siddur, is there an organization in France that provides them? I don't think so. I just heard that the Russian Jewish Federation has produced a Braille Siddur. That's really fantastic! But what about other countries?



I'm wondering how a blind rabbi accesses all this material. One of the things I'm looking at is the application called Sefaria, but we blind Jews still deserve many more books. At this point, I don't have a solution, maybe a lot of us putting our heads together can come up with some ideas.

Daveed

_______________________________________________
NFBJ mailing list
NFBJ at nfbnet.org
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nfbj_nfbnet.org
To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for NFBJ:
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbj_nfbnet.org/mlevy%40verse-onality.com


More information about the NFBJ mailing list