[Nfbk] FW: [Chapter-presidents] Universities Will Not Deploy Kindle DX asTextbook Reader

Cathy cathyj at iglou.com
Sat Nov 14 21:11:42 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: chapter-presidents-bounces at nfbnet.org
[mailto:chapter-presidents-bounces at nfbnet.org]On Behalf Of Freeh,Jessica (by
way of David Andrews <dandrews at visi.com>) (by way of David Andrews
<dandrews at visi.com>)
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:37 PM
To: chapter-presidents at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Chapter-presidents] Universities Will Not Deploy Kindle DX
asTextbook Reader

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

Universities Will Not Deploy Kindle DX as Textbook Reader

National Federation of the Blind Commends Schools
 for Demanding Accessibility for Blind Students

Baltimore, Maryland (November 11, 2009): The National Federation of the
Blind, the oldest and largest organization of blind Americans, today
applauded the decision of the University of Wisconsin-Madison and Syracuse
University to not deploy Amazon’s Kindle DX as a means of distributing
electronic textbooks (e-books) to their students.  The Kindle DX features
text-to-speech technology that can read textbooks aloud.  The menus of the
device are not accessible to the blind, however, making it impossible for a
blind user to purchase books from Amazon’s Kindle store, select a book to
read, activate the text-to-speech feature, and use the advanced reading
functions available on the Kindle DX.  Both universities have experimented
with the Kindle DX to learn whether e-book technology is useful to their
students.  But the schools will not adopt the device for general use unless
and until it is made accessible to blind students.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
“The National Federation of the Blind commends the <?xml:namespace prefix =
st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />University of
Wisconsin-Madison and Syracuse University for rejecting broad deployment of
the Kindle DX in its current form because it cannot be used by blind
students and therefore denies the blind equal access to electronic
textbooks.  We do not oppose electronic textbooks; in fact, they hold great
promise for blind students if they are accessible.  But as long as the
interface of the Kindle DX is inaccessible to the blind­denying blind
students access to electronic textbooks or the advanced features available
to read and annotate them­it is our position that no university should
consider this device to be a viable e-book solution for its students.”

The University of Wisconsin-Madison experimented with e-books for assigned
course reading in an upper-level history seminar and encouraged students to
give feedback about their experiences using e-books.  Ken Frazier, the
university’s director of libraries, said of the Kindle: "The big
disappointment was learning that the Kindle DX is not accessible to the
blind.  Advancements in text-to-speech technology have created a market
opportunity for an e-book reading device that is fully accessible for
everyone.  This version of the Kindle e-book reader missed the mark.  It is
relatively easy to envision an improved e-book reading device that meets the
needs of the entire university community.  Such a device would include
universal design for accessibility, higher-quality graphics, and improved
navigation and note-taking.  I think that there will be a huge payoff for
the company that creates a truly universal e-book reader."

Pamela McLaughlin, director of communications and external relations at
Syracuse University, said: “The university purchased two Kindle DX devices
to learn whether they might be an appropriate means of distributing
textbooks and course materials.  Students are experimenting with these
devices so that we can learn more about the advantages and disadvantages of
this technology.  At this time, however, we have no plans to purchase any
more of these units in light of the fact that they are inaccessible to blind
students.  If Syracuse University decides to use e-book technology on
campus, we will require technology that can be used by all of our students,
including those who are blind.”

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the
largest and most influential membership organization of blind people in the
United States.  The NFB improves blind people’s lives through advocacy,
education, research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and
self-confidence.  It is the leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the
National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and
training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.  Please
visit our Web site: www.nfb.org.