[Nfbk] FW: [Chapter-presidents] National Federation of the Blind Commends University of Illinois for Commitment to Accessible E-book Technology

Cathy cathyj at iglou.com
Mon Nov 23 23:53:46 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: chapter-presidents-bounces at nfbnet.org
[mailto:chapter-presidents-bounces at nfbnet.org]On Behalf Of Freeh,Jessica (by
way of David Andrews <dandrews at visi.com>)
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2009 5:38 PM
To: david.andrews at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Chapter-presidents] National Federation of the Blind Commends
University of Illinois for Commitment to Accessible E-book Technology

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Commends University of Illinois
 for Commitment to Accessible E-book Technology

Champaign, Illinois (November 19, 2009): The National Federation of the
Blind, the oldest and largest organization of blind Americans and a leading
advocate for accessible e-book technology, today applauded the University of
Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for publicly announcing its commitment to
purchasing e-book technology that can be used by the blind and others with
print disabilities.  The announcement comes on the heels of news that the
University of Wisconsin-Madison and Syracuse University will not broadly
deploy Amazon?s Kindle DX e-book reading device, which Amazon is marketing
as a replacement for traditional print textbooks, until the device is fully
accessible to blind students.  The Kindle DX features text-to-speech
technology that can read textbooks aloud.  The menus of the device are not
accessible to the blind, however, making it impossible for a blind user to
purchase books from Amazon?s Kindle store, select a book to read, activate
the text-to-speech feature, and use the advanced reading functions available
on the Kindle DX.

In a statement issued yesterday, the University of Illinois said in part:
?Quite apart from our legal obligations, we at Illinois believe that our
technology choices should be shaped by our institutional values and
aspirations.  We will not embrace technologies that undercut our commitment
to accessibility.  We will instead apply our ingenuity to technologies that
enable everyone to participate more fully in society.

?Like our colleagues at Wisconsin and Syracuse, we recognize the
groundbreaking potential that read-aloud features have for making textbooks
accessible to students with disabilities.  Sadly, that potential can't be
realized until vendors of e-book readers, like the Kindle, add accessible
read-aloud menus and basic navigation to their products.?

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
?As publishers and e-book reading device manufacturers increasingly tout the
e-book as a replacement for the printed textbook, it is critical that no
artificial barriers be placed in the way of access to this exciting new
technology by blind students.  E-books are inherently accessible, and it is
relatively easy to make e-book reading devices accessible as well.  The
National Federation of the Blind therefore commends the University of
Illinois and other universities for taking the position that e-book
technology must be accessible to all students, including the blind.?

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the
largest and most influential membership organization of blind people in the
United States.  The NFB improves blind people?s lives through advocacy,
education, research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and
self-confidence.  It is the leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the
National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and
training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.  Please
visit our Web site: www.nfb.org.