[Nfbk] Reminder

John Glisson j.glisson at insightbb.com
Sat Jul 31 21:47:10 UTC 2010

NFB of Lexington

NFB of Lexington has lost yet another tenacious Chapter member!  Michael
Freholm has moved onward to the Ashland KY area.  I do not believe he's lost
to NFB, though, for his soon to be new bride- Kennetta Potter of the
Office for the Blind - is sure to complement Mr. Freholm's NFB activity come
September 4, 2010; as these two wonderful people will 'tie the knot',
keeping in mind that little Miss Weslie Freholm will keep them both in line.

NFB of Lexington has been coming along on the forward path in the usual
"Changing What It Means to be Blind" tradition!  The Secretary of the
chapter has had a rare opportunity to join old classmates of the
graduating class of Cuba High School of 1969 to embark upon a motorcycle
ride out across Missouri and Kansas.  John Glisson left Mayfield KY on May
17 on 'A Wing & a Prayer', riding with the Burna Baptist Church Pastor on
the tour pack of a big Honda Gold Wing and very much in prayer all the way.
These guys met up with their multi-millionaire aircraft builder in Missouri
with other classmates and the "Memory Riders" Kansas explosion was on!  John
returned rejuvenated and ready to continue the NFB of Lexington progress in
a finer fashion.

New membership of the Chapter is taking an active leadership role as Mr.
Todd Stephens was elected to serve as Vice President during the April Spring
Luncheon and Elections meeting.  Currently, the Lexington Chapter Officers
are:  President Pamela Roark-Glisson, Vice President Todd Stephens,
Treasurer Desh Collier, Secretary John Glisson and Chaplain Harley Cannon.
The team has fantastic plans for the Fall: September 18 2010 NFB Walk-A-Thon
in the Merrick Park, Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government 2nd Sunday
Community Awareness Event and "Meet the Blind Month" activities; not to
mention plans to capitalize upon the September 24-October 10 2010 World
Equestrian Games to be hosted in the 'Horse Capitol of the World'!  Regular
monthly meetings continue, while NFB of Lexington partners with Independence
Place, Inc. and the Kentuckiana Regional Group of the Blinded Veterans
Association (BVA), Inc./Lexington in many meaningful endeavors on behalf of
the blind of Central Kentucky.

President Glisson often changes 'Hats' to accomplish meaningful work on
behalf of the blind and individuals with disabilities in general across the
Commonwealth.  July 20-26, 2010 has been such an occasion.  Serving as
Executive Director of Independence Place, Inc., Pamela partnered with NFB
Chapters, Leaders and members along with other disability rights and
services private and public entities around Kentucky to host the 2010
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Freedom Relay & Rally in the cities of
Murray, Paducah, Hopkinsville, Bowling Green, Louisville, Florence, Ashland,
Hazard, Williamsburg, Lexington and in Frankfort for the July 26, 2010 Grand
Finale to celebrate 20 years of the ADA!  All around the state, Pamela met
with fellow Federationists such as; President Dan Perry and members of the
Murray Chapter, President Cathy
Jackson in Louisville and Frankfort, long-time member, merchant and staunch
advocate Charles Allen in Frankfort, as well as, George Stokes, of the
Frankfort NFB chapter and State Vendor Committee, NFBK Secretary and NFB of
Ashland President Laura Felty and other members periodically around the
state.  The 'New Age Freedom
Riders', in fact, were heavily enundated with Federationists- Pam and John
Glisson,
Brenda and Jackie Kimbro & Ashley Dixon, Dan and Anetta Perry, Barbara
Monts, Desh Collier and Todd Stephens, along with disability rights
advocates Dr. John Stephenson, Todd Steel, Daniel Wiggers and Mr. Arthur
Campbell demonstrating to the Connonwealth that people with disabilities
are respected and have the dedication and diligence to keep the 'Torch of
Freedom' burning brightly in Kentucky!

The KY NFB-NEWSLINE(R) remains a constant item on the front burner in Pam
and John's lives!  The Breathitt County/Jackson Times-Voice has come on
board to provide the KY Information Channel with the weekly publication
reporting the news in and around Jackson KY.  The Troublesome Creek Times
andMountain Eagle are other Appalachian weekly publications expected to be
soon to follow!  The Kentucky Talking Book Library has begun to use the KY
Information Channel to post the Library's Newsletter.  New subscribers begin
to use Newsline on a regular basis.  Never cease to talk to your State
Representatives about the importance of Newsline to YOU!  As is all funding,
the money necessary to keep the newspaper reading service in Kentucky is
always at RISK!  Currently, the National NFB-NEWSLINE(R) Team is financially
carrying the Kentucky Service!  The 2005 5-year contract expired earlier
this year, and budget deficits, Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA)
stringent regulations on state spending and other factors has caused more
lengthy negotiations to maintain the KY NFB-NEWSLINE(R) in the Commonwealth.
Do you want to continue to have the worldwide one-of-a-kind accessible
electronic information service available to you?  Express the service's
benefits to your State Representatives soon!

For more information regarding NFB of Lexington, contact Pamela
Roark-Glisson at (859) 335-9282 or by e-mail at pam.glisson at insightbb.com.
Regular monthly Chapter meetings are held on the third Saturday unless
otherwise
notified.