[Nfbk] FW: Exciting Opportunity for Future Teachers

Cathy cathyj at iglou.com
Mon May 10 23:27:19 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Wilson, Joanne [mailto:JWilson at nfb.org]
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2010 11:18 AM
To: Alpidio Rolon - Puerto Rico; Amy Buresh - Nebraska; Angela Wolf; Anil
Lewis - Georgia; Art Stevenson - Oregon; Beth Rival - Connecticut; Bill
Packee - Alaska; Bob Kresmer - Arizona; Carl Jacobsen - New York;
president at nfbny.org; Cathy Jackson - Kentucky; Charlene Smyth - West
Virginia; Christine Hall - New Mexico; Dan Burke - Montana; Dan Hicks -
Florida; Donald Galloway - District of Columbia; Donna Wood - Kansas; Elsie
Dickerson - Idaho; Frank Lee - Alabama; Franklin Shiner - Vermont; Fred
Wurtzel - Michigan; Fredric K. Schroeder - Virginia; Gary H. Ray - North
Carolina; Gary Wunder - Missouri; J. W. Smith - Ohio; James Antonacci -
Pennsylvania; Jennelle Bichler - North Dakota; Jennifer Dunnam - Minnesota;
Joe Ruffalo - New Jersey; John Fritz - Wisconsin; Joie Stuart; Ken Rollman -
South Dakota; Kevan Worley; Kim Williams - Tennessee; Larry Posont -
Michigan; Lisa Bonderson; Lynne Majewski - Delaware; Marie Johnson - New
Hampshire; Mary Willows - California; Matt Lyles - Arkansas; Melissa
Riccobono - Maryland; Melissa Riccobono - Maryland (2); Michael Barber -
Iowa; Michael Freeman - Washington; Mika Pyyhkala - Massachusetts; Mike
Klimisch; Nani Fife - Hawaii; Pam Dubel Allen - Louisiana; Parnell Diggs -
South Carolina; Patti Gregory-Chang - Illinois; Ramona Walhof (Idaho); Rena
Smith - Nevada; Richard Gaffney - Rhode Ilsand; Richard Gaffney - Rhode
Island (2); Ron Brown - Indiana; Ron Gardner - Utah; Ron Gardner - Utah
President; Sam Gleese - Mississippi; Scott LaBarre - Colorado; Selena
Sundling-Crawford - Oklahoma; Sharon Maneki - Maryland (2); Sheila Wright -
Missouri contact; Steve Sawczyn - Maine; Susan Bradley - Idaho (2); Tom Page
(per Suzie Stanzel's request)
Subject: Exciting Opportunity for Future Teachers

National Federation of the Blind
2010 Teacher of Tomorrow Program

If you are preparing for a career in teaching blind students, then this
message is for you!

The National Federation of the Blind has developed the Teacher of Tomorrow
Program for students preparing to be teachers of the blind. This program is
of no cost, and it will provide students with the following:

.        Teacher Mentors

.        Blindness Mentors

.        Blindness Skills Tutors

.        Information about Scholarships

.        Diverse Teaching Opportunities

.        Professional Development activities at the NFB national convention

.        Advocacy training in Washington D.C.

.        Interactive Workshops at the headquarters of the NFB in Baltimore,
Maryland.

Wondering why we developed the Teacher of Tomorrow Program? Well, the answer
is easy. to be effective educators, teachers of blind kids need sustained
and in-depth exposure to blind people from all walks of life. Although
current teacher training programs provide these opportunities for their
students, they are often limited by a number of factors including location,
funding, and access. The NFB has an active nationwide network of countless
resources that can be used to provide future teachers an enhanced learning
experience, and we are happy to work with teacher preparation programs to
facilitate these experiences for their students.

If you would like to be considered for this program, please complete the
brief application that is attached to this message. We will schedule a phone
interview with all applicants, and will select our final cohort by Tuesday,
June 15, 2010. If you have any questions, you can contact me at (410)
659-9314, ext. 2283, or via email at rcarranza at nfb.org. You can also visit
www.teachblinddstudents.org for additional information about the Teacher of
Tomorrow Program.

Cordially,