[Nfbk] NFB Philosophy

Lora Felty lorafelty at windstream.net
Tue Aug 9 20:32:06 UTC 2011

It sounds to me as though we really need to educate this individual on NFB
philosophy.  However, in certain circumstances I can sort of see her idea
about the medic alert bands being beneficial.  This isn't to say that I
think all blind people should run out and get a bracelet, not at all.  I do
know, however, that when you are in the hospital for surgery or if you are
very ill, it is important that medical staff and nurses know that you are
blind.  In one instance, when I was hospitalized and basically unconscious,
a nurse came in to check on me.  She pulled open my right eye, which has a
prosthesis, and shined a light into it.  She was quite startled when there
was no pupillary reaction.  Fortunately, a family member was there to tell
her that my eye was artificial.  In another instance when I was being
prepared for surgery by the anesthesiolagist, he shoved a tongue depressor
with horrible tasting gel into my mouth without telling me he was going to
do this or letting me know if I was meant to swallow it or spit it out.
Also, there have been times when I was so ill that I couldn't really
communicate to medical professionals that I was blind.  So, my point is that
when you are very ill and unable to communicate your visual condition, the
medical staff need to be informed some how.  I think that firstly, it is the
blind individual's responsibility to inform medical staff, and it should be
individual choice, but on the other hand, there are countless medical staff
that one might come in contact with.  One time when I was hospitalized a
nurse put up a sign above my bed that said that I was blind.  I really don't
like that, but that was a time when I was basically unconscious and could
not speak for myself.  So, I really don't know the "right""answer, and I
don't intend to get a medic alert bracelet, but I do understand that one
might be beneficial to some blind persons in some circumstances.