[Nfbk] Blind Driver Challenge Pictures

Cathy cathyj at iglou.com
Sun Feb 6 16:22:43 UTC 2011

Hey Gang,

Attached are pictures from the Blind Driver Challenge. Pamela and John
Glisson, Angela Dehart and I attended the event. It was so exciting. I wish
all of you could have been there. The NFB has once again made history. Never
before has a blind individual actually driven a car being given real-time
information so that he could make the decision whether to turn right or
left, or speed up or slow down. Just imagine the leap forward in technology.
We are proving that there really isn't as big of a gap between accessible
technology and general technology. This in no way means that we the NFB are
abandoning our commitment to education, Braille, rehabilitation, jobs and
all of the other projects of the organization, it merely means we are
embarking on one more exciting frontier. I will attach a few other pictures
in another email.

Washing Seminar went as well as could be expected. The Republicans had
decided about two weeks ago that they would spend a week back in their
districts. It just so happened that it was the same week we were in
Washington. Naturally we couldn't change our schedule since the contract
with the hotel had been signed several months ago. It is always a bit
disappointing when we have to see congressional aids. We all got home safely
and were thankful we didn't have flight delays or cancellations. Charles and
Betty Allen had to be re-routed since Chicago was closed, but they made
arrangements well ahead of time so there wasn't any problem. You should go
to www.nfb.org and read all about our issues in detail.