[Nfbk] Fwd: Kentucky Talking Books Library News: Digital Kentucky Books

Joey Couch joey.couch at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 20:51:53 UTC 2011

I am passing this along for those of you who use the Kentucky Talking
Book Library read and keep on reading.
From: "Abner, Lauren (KDLA)" <Lauren.Abner at ky.gov>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 10:52:50 -0400
Subject: Kentucky Talking Books Library News: Digital Kentucky Books

KENTUCKY TALKING BOOK LIBRARY NEWS, SUMMER 2011

Digital Kentucky Books Now Available

You can now enjoy Kentucky books produced in our Frankfort recording
studio with the same ease-of-use and high-quality sound you experience
with the books from the national collection.  We have more than 50
Kentucky titles in a wide range of genres-from mysteries, historical
fiction, and Christian fiction to history, memoirs, and true crime.
These books are written by Kentuckians, set in Kentucky, or have special
appeal to our patrons.  More titles coming soon!  Request a copy of the
2011 Digital Kentucky Books Catalog on digital cartridge by calling the
library at 1-800-372-2968 or (502) 564-8300 ext. 276.  You can also
download a copy as a Word document or PDF from our website by using
these links:

2011 Digital Kentucky Books Catalog, Word Version
<http://kdla.ky.gov/librarians/talkingbook/Documents/Digital%20Kentucky%
20Books%202011.doc>

2011 Digital Kentucky Books Catalog, PDF Version
<http://kdla.ky.gov/librarians/talkingbook/Documents/Digital%20Kentucky%
20Books%202011.pdf>

New Librarian Added

Lauren Abner, KTBL's secretary for the past four years, has earned her
master's degree in library science and been promoted to librarian.  KTBL
now has four librarians, so your librarian assignment may have changed:

Patrons with last names A-C: Barbara Penegor, x282,
barbara.penegor at ky.gov

Patrons with last names D-I: Lauren Abner, x279, lauren.abner at ky.gov

Patrons with last names J-Q: Janet Chisman, x 278, janet.chisman at ky.gov

Patrons with last names R-Z: Jenny Paul, x 283, jennifer.paul at ky.gov

We will no longer have a secretary to answer the phone.  When you call,
please tell us your name right away so we can connect you to your
librarian.

KTBL Needs Your Support

Your Talking Book service is in jeopardy.  KTBL's state and federal
budget has been slashed by nearly 30% in the past 3 years, and those
cuts affect our ability to provide you the high-quality service you
deserve.  If you value the talking books and Braille books you receive
through the mail or download from the BARD website, please contact your
representatives and voice your support.  You can find your Kentucky
legislators on this website: www.lrc.ky.gov <http://www.lrc.ky.gov/> .
Your representatives in Congress can be found at www.senate.gov
<http://www.senate.gov/>  or www.house.gov <http://www.house.gov/> .
Please call KTBL at 1-800-372-2968 and we will be happy to locate this
information for you.

Your library depends upon your tax-deductible donations.  Your gifts
allow us to purchase books, blank cartridges, and containers for
producing locally-recorded Kentucky books.  They also help us to repair
or replace specialty equipment such as our mail card printer.  If you
would like to make a contribution to KTBL, please send a check or money
order to: Kentucky Talking Book Library, PO Box 537, Frankfort, KY
40602.  Your support is greatly appreciated.

Take Care of Your Digital Talking Books

More than 100 copies of digital books have been lost since KTBL began
circulating them in Fall 2009.  Due to budget cuts, we do not have funds
to replace digital copies when they are lost, and we do not have the
staff to open every book container to check for problems.  Please make
sure that you open only 1 container at a time and put the correct
cartridge back in the container before you mail it.  Our staff only
inspects books that are marked as defective.  If you find any problems
with the book, including damaged, missing, or incorrect cartridges,
please make sure to mark an 'X' on the mail card or use the check-box
labeled 'Defective Book'.  If you would like another copy of a defective
book, please call the library at 1-800-372-2968 or mark the check box on
the mail card that says 'Send Another Copy'.

2011 KTBL/State Government Holidays:

Labor Day - Monday, September 5th

Veteran's Day - Friday, November 11th

Thanksgiving - Thursday & Friday, November 24-25th

Christmas - To be announced

KTBL Contact Information

Kentucky Talking Book Library

P.O. Box 537

Frankfort, KY 40602-0537

1-800-372-2968 (toll-free)

1-502-564-8300 ext 276 (local)

E-mail: KTBL.Mail at ky.gov

Hours:  Monday-Friday 8:00-4:30 EDT

You may leave a voice mail message after hours.

BARD website: http://nlsbard.loc.gov/

Facebook: www.facebook.com/kdla.ktbl

Please contact KTBL for any of the following:

*        To make book requests

*        With any questions or problems, including BARD questions

*        Whenever your name, address, or telephone number changes

*        To change the types of books you get, or the number of books
you receive

*        When you have problems with books or machines

*        To change the format of your newsletters or catalogs

*	To temporarily stop or cancel your service

Joey Couch
cell phone 606-216-8033
email
joey.couch at gmail.com