[Nfbk] NFBK Updates

Cathy cathyj at iglou.com
Sun May 15 20:31:38 UTC 2011

Good Sunday Afternoon,

I thought this would be a good time to remind all of you of upcoming events
and fundraisers. First of all don't forget our NFB of Kentucky scholarship
program. The applications are due in to Lora Felty by June 1. This is an
earlier date than in years past. The scholarship committee decided that
trying to make such an important decision too close to our state convention
was an injustice to the applicants. And, besides, this will give our
applicants more time to make arrangements to attend the NFBK convention in
the event they are not a finalist. Speaking of the state convention, this
information was written up in the spring issue of the Kentucky Cardinal, but
I was reminded that it did not appear on the list. We are meeting in
Frankfort at the Capital Plaza Hotel the weekend of September 30, October 1
& 2. Rooms are $79 per night plus applicable taxes. You should call the
hotel direct to make your reservation at, 502-227-5100 no later than Friday
September 9 to guarantee a room. For those of you who are looking to the
future, we will be in Frankfort again in 2012 the week-end of September 28th
through the 30th at the Capitol Plaza. At this point in time the agenda is
only an outline in my mind. Please don't ask about financial assistance just
yet. Let us get through the process for our national convention first. On
the subject of conventions, I know several of you are planning to be in
Orlando the week of July 2 through the 9. We are urging you to give us a few
hours in our booth to sell key chains and reverse raffle tickets. If you
would contact me off-line at cathyj at iglou.com or by phone 366-2317 and let
me know when you are available I would be most appreciative. Monday and
Tuesday, July 4 & 5 are our longest days, and I know that most families are
planning trips to Disney World on these days as well. The booth will be open
during lunch on Wednesday & Thursday and for a few hours during the evening.
No one should be over-burdened if we all do our share. Key chains cost $10.
They are a high quality product, silver in color with NFB on one side and
Whozit on the reverse side. We ordered 1000 so as you can see we have our
work cut out for us. Chapter presidents have them available for members to
sell and buy. I have 800 in my dining room so feel free to take a few of
them off my hands. The reverse raffle continues to grow in popularity. A
donation of $10 puts your name in the drawing for several cash prizes. The
grand prize is worth $500 and the runner-up gets $250. The first name drawn
receives $25. From that point on the 25th, 50th, 75th names drawn--and so
on--win $25. Your odds are pretty darn good that your $10 investment will
pay off. Go on-line at nfb.org and clock on the link to pre-register for the
national convention no later than May 31 to save money! Registration costs
$15 and the banquet is $50. If you have not made a room reservation you need
to know that the Rosen Shingle Creek is sold out. You will now be in the
over-flow hotel which is another Rosen property still in that complex of
hotels on the same grounds. The agenda will be posted soon at www.nfb.org. I
am quite sure that as soon as I click send I'll think of something else that
should have been posted.