[Nfbk] USABA Seeks Judo, Track/Field Athletes (Ages 12-19) for 2011 IBSA World Youth and Student Championships

Joey Couch joey.couch at gmail.com
Thu May 19 00:06:19 UTC 2011

I am passing this on for your information.

Dear Friend of USABA;

We need your help with getting the word out on an outstanding opportunity for
young athletes.  This year (12-17 July) the United States Association of Blind
Athletes will host the International Blind Sports Federation World Youth and
Student Championships in Colorado   Springs.  Athletes ages 12-19 who are
blind/visually impaired (B1-B3) from over 20 countries will compete in
Track and
Field, Judo and Goalball.  In past years, this has been not only an outstanding
sports opportunity, but also a once-in-a lifetime opportunity for athletes to
meet their contemporaries from around the world.  This event has been the
catalyst for many athletes to continue on in sports to compete on collegiate,
national and Paralympic sports programs.

This event isn’t a sports education camp-type of program—it is an international
competition for up and coming youth athletes—but our experience has been that
there are many blind and visually impaired youth in the United States who are
competing in sports programs in your schools or programs who would
excel in this
competition.

Our challenge is—and this is where we need your help—is getting the word out
about this opportunity.  Although we reach out to athletes through our website
and membership database, there are many young outstanding athletes in your
schools, who participate programs in your agencies, or that you may be aware of
through other means that we are still trying to reach.

Can you help us share the word about this opportunity by sharing this
information with athletes, parents, coaches, teachers,
recreation/sports program
managers or anyone else who can help us get the word out?

We’ve had many takers for goalball and because it’s a team sport, limited to 1
boy’s and 1 girl’s team, numbers were limited and required us to conduct a
separate selection process.  However, we are still looking for track and field
athletes and judo athletes for this competition.  Unfortunately, this
year there
was enough international interest for us to be able to provide a swimming
competition.  I’ve attached a flyer to this email that provides a little more
information about the competition and lists sports contact points.  If you have
questions or are looking for additional information, please don’t hesitate to
call me or send me an email.  I

Although we’re looking for track/field and judo athletes for this specific
competition, we’re always looking for athletes who may be interested in our
other sports programs as well including, swimming, tandem cycling, goalball,
powerlifting.

We thank you in advance in helping us get the word out.!

John

JOHN POTTS
Sports Director
United StatesAssociation of Blind Athletes
Email: jpotts at usaba.org
Phone: 719-534-3805
Web:  www.usaba.org

Joey Couch