[Nfbk] God Be with You.

Joey Couch ki4vjd at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 14:16:12 UTC 2011

"God Be with You"

A young soldier, with tears in his eyes, hugs his wife and child and
boards a transport plane, bound for foreign conflict. It is a scene we
have witnessed many times through the years, as men and women of the
military leave loved ones behind and bravely go to play their part in
the fight for freedom. For all who make this sacrifice, it seems the
hardest part of all is saying good-bye.
Whether for only a few hours or much longer, we must, on occasion, say
farewell and place our lives and the lives of those we love in the
hands of divine providence. Mothers know the feelings of joy mixed
with worry as they send their little ones off to the first day of
school. Children grow up and leave home, friends move away, jobs end,
family members pass on, and each time we have to say good-bye.

And yet there is something particularly poignant about bidding
farewell to a soldier—to a man or woman who, though reluctant to leave
behind loved ones, is nevertheless emboldened by a sense of sacred
duty to the cause of freedom and country. And while we may not be able
to fully appreciate the sacrifice made by the families of these
heroes, we all share a measure of pride in their service and prayers
for their safe return.

Just as touching—and often just as tearful—as the soldier’s departure
is the joy of his return and the rush to meet his embrace and welcome
him home. Even if the reunion is postponed longer than we wish, we
never need to let go of the assurance that someday it will come.

Life demands that all of us endure separation, but the pain of this
separation can be greatly softened when, with trust in heaven’s help,
we include with our good-bye the hopeful plea, “God be with you till
we meet again.”1

“God Be with You Till We Meet Again,” Hymns, no. 152.

--
Joey Couch
phone 606-216-8033.
email ki4vjd at gmail.com