[Nfbk] The Promise of Hope

Joey Couch ki4vjd at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 03:34:22 UTC 2012

"The Promise of Hope"

The beginning of a new year is a good time to remember that most
darkness is temporary. No matter how bleak or dark things may seem at
times, the long nights of winter gradually grow shorter, a new day
eventually dawns, and with it comes a new beginning and new
confidence. Hope is the flame that brightens the darkest nights.

During the dark days of World War II, a Jewish inmate in a Nazi
concentration camp found a way to rekindle hope. It was the first
night of Hanukkah (which, in most parts of the world, falls at the
darkest time of the year). On this night, Jews traditionally light the
first candle in their Menorah. Not having any provisions for such a
celebration, the prisoner saved a scrap of bread from his meager meal
and dipped it in grease from his dinner dish. After saying the
appropriate prayer, he lit his makeshift candle.

His son said to him, “Father, that was food you burned. We have so
little of it. Wouldn’t we have been better off eating it?” The father
replied, “My son, people can live for a week without food, but they
cannot live for one day without hope.”

Hope is so much more than positive thinking. It’s deeper than smiley
faces and lofty words, although a sincere smile or an expression of
faith can be a good start. But true hope is found deep in the hearts
of those who love. It is expressed through meaningful work and
worthwhile activity. It is manifested in service, sacrifice, and
selflessness. It leads us to see ourselves—and others—as children of a
loving Heavenly Father who, as the Psalmist said, can be to us a light
that casts away fear.

Each new year, and each new day, can be filled with hope and
possibility. When the night seems particularly dark, let us light a
candle, even if only in our hearts, to the promise of hope.

--
Joey Couch
phone 606-216-8033.
email ki4vjd at gmail.com