[Nfbk] Come Depressed and Leave Refreshed

Joey Couch ki4vjd at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 00:26:26 UTC 2012

"Come Depressed and Leave Refreshed"

Very often, the surest way to make an adversity or heartache a little
more bearable is to think a little more about the adversities and
heartaches of others. It’s truly remarkable how such a simple shift in
focus can change everything.

Devin was one of those who faced serious hardships in life and yet
found a way to endure the pain and find joy. During his short 15 years
of life, he fought a valiant battle against cancer. Devin’s secret was
his deep faith in God, along with deep love for his family and
friends. Despite his own trials, Devin always left others feeling a
little better than he found them. He loved people—loved to listen to
them, laugh with them, and talk with them. People who visited Devin
with the idea of comforting him always seemed to leave with the
feeling that, somehow, they were the ones comforted.

For his 15th birthday, Devin asked for a small refrigerator so he
could have cold soft drinks available for anyone who came to visit. He
put a slogan on the door of the fridge: “The Soda Factory—come
depressed and leave refreshed.” Up until the day he passed away, Devin
simply loved people and found that as he thought of others instead of
himself, he felt a little better, happier, stronger.

This simple but profound truth applies not only to those with serious
illnesses but to all of us, whatever our trials. When we are
disheartened and face an unknown future, think of others; when we feel
depleted by life’s challenges and overwhelmed with worries, think of
others. It doesn’t need to be much, it just needs to come from the
heart: a listening ear, a welcoming smile, a warm embrace—or even a
can of soda pop! As we demonstrate genuine, heartfelt interest in
others, we—and they—will be refreshed.

--
Joey Couch
phone 606-216-8033.