[Nfbk] The Purpose of Life

Joey Couch ki4vjd at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 23:26:07 UTC 2012

"The Purpose of Life"

The purpose of life is to learn and grow and become better. Surely,
heaven will be filled not with those who never made mistakes but with
those who recognized they were straying and made corrections to get
back on course. And we have opportunities to do that throughout life.1

Think how much better life could be if this were our attitude to learn
from setbacks and mistakes rather than being defined or paralyzed by
them. Anyone who has ever been lost or confused knows how absolutely
vital it is to occasionally reassess the direction of our lives.

One writer compares the matter-of-fact tone of a GPS, a
satellite-based navigation system, to the ideal attitude toward
accepting course corrections in life. "Here's what I really love about
the GPS," she says. "When you miss the turn, it doesn't fall apart. It
just calmly says, 'Recalculating,' and tells you how to fix your
mistake." And then she laments: "I wish I could be as gentle and
objective about my life mistakes as the GPS is about my driving ones.
How marvelous it would be to be able to see things objectively and say
to myself, 'Well, you missed that turn, but we can still get you
there.' "2

We all need to recalculate from time to time. It might be a change of
plans or goals, an adjustment in our expectations and outlook, a
fine-tuning of our attitude and character. In all these course
corrections and recalculations, let us be patient and gentle and a
little objective with ourselves. Remember, we are here to learn and
grow and become better and that takes time. Once we come to see
mistakes as building blocks for a better life rather than stumbling
blocks that keep us down, we truly begin to understand the purpose of
life.

1. See Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "A Matter of a Few Degrees," Ensign, May 2008, 60.
2. Emily Watts, "Life Is Too Short: You Have Reached Your
Destination," LDS Living, Jan. Feb. 2012, 95.

--
Joey Couch
phone 606-216-8033.
email ki4vjd at gmail.com