[Nfbk] June AccessWorld is now available!

Joey Couch ki4vjd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 20:32:25 UTC 2012

AFB	 American Foundation
for the Blind <http://www.afb.org>  	TM

Expanding possibilities for people with vision loss

The June issue of AccessWorld <http://www.afb.org/accessworld>  is now
available on our website.
This issue features:

*	Editor's Page
<http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pub.asp?DocID=aw130501>

*	When FullHD and Portability Meet: A Review of the Topolino Smart
USB Video Camera (CCTV) by Reinecker, by John Rempel
<http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pub.asp?DocID=aw130502>
Manufactured by Reinecker, the Topolino Smart is designed for close-up
and distance viewing, and it can interface with a computer or be used
with a monitor alone. The Topolino's image quality, portability, and
versatility pack a powerful punch.
*	Series: Removing the Stress from iOS: A Blueprint for
Incorporating Touchscreen Products Into the Classroom, Workplace, and
Community. Part II: Success With iOS: Making it Happen!, by Larry Lewis
<http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pub.asp?DocID=aw130503>
This article is the second in a series of four designed to incorporate
accessible iOS know-how into your adaptive technology journeys. This
article helps tie practical strategies for using iOS technology to the
performance of the tasks that are important to us and our sighted peers.

*	Learning to Play a Musical Instrument: Resources for People who
are Blind or Visually Impaired, by Janet Ingber
<http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pub.asp?DocID=aw130504>
The lessons and materials described in this article are specifically
geared to people with visual impairments who want to study at home and
learn at their own pace. I've used all of these resources in my work as
a professional music therapist.
*	When Tech Support Isn't Supportive, by Deborah Kendrick
<http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pub.asp?DocID=aw130505>
Computer users with vision loss will encounter occasions when it is
necessary to talk to a technical support person in the mainstream, a
person representing your bank, for example. My own experience has run
the gamut with such individuals. Perhaps you will recognize some of my
experiences as ones you have had yourself. We'll look at them and then
look at some ways in which these encounters can lead to more positive
outcomes.
*	George Kerscher, an Unsung Hero, Receives High Honor, by Paul
Schroeder <http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pub.asp?DocID=aw130506>
On May 5, 2012, the American Foundation for the Blind (AFB) awarded Dr.
George Kerscher with the Migel Medal, the highest honor in the blindness
field. Read my tribute and the full text of Deborah Kendrick's May 2001
interview with George Kerscher.
*	AccessWorld News
<http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pub.asp?DocID=aw130507>
*	Letters to the Editor
<http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pub.asp?DocID=aw130508>

AccessWorld® is the American Foundation for the Blind's technology
magazine.

Be sure to sign up on the AccessWorld home page to receive AccessWorld
Alerts, an e-mail announcement letting you know when new issues of
AccessWorld are posted.

Joey Couch
phone 606-216-8033.
email ki4vjd at gmail.com