[Nfbk] This Magnificent World

Joey Couch ki4vjd at gmail.com
Fri May 25 20:11:50 UTC 2012

"This Magnificent World"

What do you see and feel when you look around at this magnificent
world? Do you see diverse colors, faces, landscapes, and seascapes?
What do you learn from others who live in different cultures, use
expressions you might not understand, and eat things you might not
consider food?

A nurse in the Far East stood nearby as a couple from North America
prepared to take home their newly adopted little son. He was 18 months
old, darling, enthusiastic—and Chinese. The father looked at the woman
who had cared for the child since he was placed in the orphanage.
“Tell us how you teach him and how you show him love,” the father
said. She smiled and responded, “You will do it your way. And that
will be good.”

The interchange was not about parenting; it was about respecting the
different ways we do things and the beauty of those differences.

What if everything in the world were the same? What if there were no
tulips in the Netherlands, no Alps in Switzerland, no gazelles in
Africa? What if there were no regional accents or Italian operas, no
Great Wall of China? What if there wasn’t a culture that gave us the
ruins in Mexico, the hula in Hawaii, and walkabouts down under? Some
people eat fish eggs and love them. Others work in rice fields from a
tender age. Some live in apartments and others in yurts. This is a
world varied in its natural wonders and rich in local traditions. And
isn’t that marvelous!

The more we get to know the world’s diversity, the more we feel at
home here. Because even though clothing styles, artistic styles, and
parenting styles vary widely, we can share an underlying foundation of
kindness, generosity, and understanding. In this sense, we can all be
bilingual—we speak our native language and the language of love. This
is what adds the human touch to an already magnificent world.

--
Joey Couch
phone 606-216-8033.
email ki4vjd at gmail.com