[Nfbk] Pizza and Bingo Recap

Melanie Peskoe mpeskoe at twc.com
Sun Aug 18 20:59:32 UTC 2013

Hello fellow Federationists!

Yesterday the NFB of Greater Louisville enjoyed pizza and bingo at our
August meeting. We had a great time and it was so good to see so many
friends Before we ate and played, some of the board members shared about
"funding the movement". We discussed national programs such as the new
Vehicle Donation Program and the PAC Program. Our own NFBK state president,
Cathy Jackson, talked about state level funding opportunities such as the
reverse raffle and our annual pledging at the NFBK state convention. Lastly,
we talked about local, grassroots funding of the movement, which can be both
financial funding as well as fueling the movement through showing up at
programs and participating in events.

We also encouraged everyone to begin obtaining door prizes for the upcoming
NFBK state convention. Tressie Smith, an NFBGL board member, will be leading
the effort to collect and manage door prizes. I say we keep her busy! Since
the NFBK state convention is going to be held here in Louisville, the NFBGL
chapter would like to make it as special and memorable for everyone coming
from around the state. I will be posting a letter that anyone can download
and give to businesses when soliciting door prizes. Take it with you when
you go to chain restaurants that may donate gift cards that can be used
around the state as well as other places that may provide gifts. The sky's
the limit with door prizes, just make sure it's something you would be happy
to take home and remember cash is always nice as well!

We had a very nice meeting and fun time yesterday and hope to do something
similar again. In September we will be visiting with the high school
students at the Kentucky School for the Blind to share with them about who
we are and what we do. I hope that as many of you who came out for pizza and
bingo will join us in September to participate and "fund the movement" with
your efforts. Stay tuned for more information and details.

In Federation Spirit,

Melanie Peskoe

NFBGL President