[Nfbk] Windows Phone

Kevin Pearl kvnprl at twc.com
Fri Aug 30 17:59:20 UTC 2013

Today I was listening to the Windows Weekly Podcast.  Near the end, they mentioned the Nokia Lumia 520.  This is a windows phone running the Windows Phone 8 operating system.  This is an alternative to Apple’s iOS and Android phones.  What makes this interesting is that you can get one for $99 without a contract.  You can sign up for service with AT&T or not sign up for service and use it only on WiFI, similar to the way someone could use an iPod Touch.

There doesn’t seem to be much in the way of accessibility right out of the box.  I don’t know if there are any accessible apps that are available either.  I’m hoping someone will chime in here.  If it could be made accessible, you could use it as a media player, GPS navigation device, contact manager, calendar and many of the other things people use phones and iPods for these days.  You would probably want to buy an SD card for extra storage.  Depending on how much storage you would want, that would cost from $5 to $50.

If you are interested, you can buy it from:

Amazon, $98.98.
Microsoft Store, $99.
or
Walmart, $99.88.

Please don’t ask me questions about this.  I have literally shared everything I know about this.  Hopefully some of our wonderful TAD members will have some insights.  If not, this might make an interesting gift for a sighted friend.