[Nfbk] Rope- Follow up response

Nickie Pearl njp at twc.com
Tue Jul 9 20:25:04 UTC 2013

Hello!  I wanted you all to see the response I got from a follow up e-mail regarding the rope situation at KSB. Below is Mr. Roberts response.

Thanks!

Nickie,

I am copying an email I had sent to another concerned person explaining the situation:

Thank you for your response. Here is a synopsis of the event in question. Two of our teachers were preparing to conduct a team building activity with the students as they exited a school bus at Mary T. Meagher Aquatic Center. Because of the nature of the activity, students were intentionally not told what the activity would be, because doing so would reveal the intent of the game. This particular team building activity involved participants trying to "figure out" the purpose behind the activity, after they've experienced it.
During the activity, participants hold on to a long rope while given a certain task to complete. Once that task is completed, the participants move forward, let go of the rope and then complete the next activity. This goes on repeatedly until the students finish the various tasks. The result of the game is for students to realize and understand that they must work cohesively as a team to be successful at the tasks. The rope is simply the tool.
The students never got to complete the tasks because one of the students misunderstood the intent of the activity and refused to participate. At no time, was the use of a rope intended to guide or assist students with traveling or mobility.
What is most unfortunate, is that those who did not have full understanding of the situation have assumed an inaccurate scenario that would never, ever be performed, accepted or tolerated by KSB staff. I would think that the public would have more confidence in the KSB staff. It is my sincere hope that we can put this event behind us.

John C. Roberts
Director of Instruction
Kentucky School for the Blind
1867 Frankfort Avenue
Louisville, KY   40206

502-897-1583 , ext. 0201
FAX:  502-897-2850
Kentucky School for the Blind is the statewide educational resource center on blindness