[Nfbk] Situation at KSB

Melanie Peskoe mpeskoe at twc.com
Thu Jun 27 14:49:37 UTC 2013

I want to second Nickie's statement about writing to KSB to express concern
over how the high school children at the summer enrichment camp were
humiliated and degraded, as well as concern about the ideas and attitudes of
the KSB staff regarding blindness, independence, and appropriate methods of
assuring that all kids are accounted for on field trips.

Obviously, the idea and practice of using a rope to keep blind kids together
in a group as a means to ensure no one gets lost or left behind is a blatant
disregard for human rights. No one, regardless of level of ability or sight,
should be treated this way. Not only does it humiliate the people who are
being forced to do this, but it gives the community who witness such
treatment the idea that this is how blind people should be "handled". It
reinforces ancient ideas that we are unable to travel independently and need
to be "taken care of." This is just wrong and sets us back decades in our
fight for equal treatment and fairness. Some of the staff who were present
when this happened have been employed by the Kentucky School for the Blind
for many years and have been advocates for blind children. Is this what they
really think? Do they believe this is acceptable treatment of blind
children? Do they not think there are more appropriate ways of handling the
situation? These are the staff who are teaching our children how to live in
the world as a blind person. I don't want my child to be taught that it is
ever  okay to be led around by a rope!

There are many ways this situation could have been handled differently. If
there were concerns about the kids' ability to travel independently as a
group they could have been paired up with each other or in small groups with
a staff member. The staff could have taken time before even leaving the
school to talk with the kids about how to travel safely and independently as
a group. If there were still concerns the school could have taken fewer
students or more staff.

Any way you look at it - regardless of any external factors - there is
never, ever cause to use a rope as a means of keeping blind people corralled
in a group like a herd of cattle. I am extremely displeased and have
expressed my concerns and anger over this situation to both John Roberts,
the KSB Director of Instruction, and the staff that I know of who were
present when this incident occurred - Connie Yocum, Mary Pawlowski, and Kyle
Sochia. Like Nickie did previously, I urge all Federationists in Kentucky to
take a few minutes to draft an email to these employees of the Kentucky
School for the Blind and let them know this is unacceptable. Here are their
email addresses for your convenience.

John.Roberts at ksb.kyschools.us

Mary.Pawlowski at ksb.kyschools.us

Connie.Yocum at ksb.kyschools.us

Kyle.Sochia at ksb.kyschools.us

Respectfully,

Melanie Peskoe, President NFB of Greater Louisville