[Nfbk] Letter from a Concerned Parent

Nickie Pearl njp at twc.com
Sat Jun 29 16:34:34 UTC 2013

Bravo Maria!

From: Kenneth Jones
Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2013 12:38 AM
To: nfb of Kentucky Internet Mailing List
Subject: [Nfbk] Letter from a Concerned Parent

This is the letter that Maria sent to KSB staff regarding the rope incident.

June 27, 2013

To: KSB Summer Enrichment Staff,

              My name is Maria Jones. I am the parent of a high school student attending this year’s Summer Enrichment Program. I am also the President of the Kentucky Parents of Blind Children, KPBC., an affiliate of the National Organization of Parents of Blind Children, NOPBC and chapter of the National Federation of the Blind, NFB.

              I am writing to express my concerns about what I have learned to occur at the program this year. It has been brought to my attention that students have been led around with the use a rope, both on campus and off. I would like to understand why this was chosen as a mode of mobility for students this year, especially high schoolers. My own visually impaired children have attended the program for years and have never had to experience such a way of traveling from place to place. I know that it has been suggested that several of the students have multiple disabilities and that this made it easier/faster to get them to where they needed to be. I have taught children with multiple disabilities for years and have never found it necessary to make use of a rope for mobility. I also know that this was branded as a team building activity for the high school students and that photos were being taken of the students at the Mary T. Aquatic Center pool when they arrived there. However, I don’t understand why the students who were to participate in this activity weren’t made aware of this.

              As a parent of three visually impaired children and an advocate for blind children, I am appalled that any children would be treated with such a lack of dignity and respect. For decades, our organization has fought to change what it means to be blind. I feel that this kind of behavior sets our efforts back to a time when blind people were not considered capable, competent individuals and it sends a message to our children that they’re not equal, independent citizens.

              The Summer Enrichment Program is a valuable and worthwhile program for blind students across the state during the summer to reinforce physical and social skills. As I mentioned before, two of my children have attended this program for years and I’d like for my youngest child to have the opportunity to attend as well. I’d also like to be able to share with other parents of blind children what a quality summer program for their children looks like. I’m sure that with some collaborative efforts, we can all be assured that this will continue to be a quality program for blind children for years to come.

Respectfully,

Maria Jones

http://host.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbk_nfbnet.org/njp%40twc.com