[Nfbk] Situation at KSB

Penny,Kayla null kcpenn01 at louisville.edu
Sun Jun 30 01:59:13 UTC 2013

Ian,
I"m going to try to answer some of your questions the best that I can, hopefully someone else will chime in as well.  I'm almost positive that there was enough staff present when they took the outing to the pool, typically most places require a certain ratio of students to staff on outing, I doubt KSB would have taken the trip if there wasn't enough staff.  The staff at KSB by all accounts is well trained and many of them have been working with blind students for years.  Some of the students do have multiple disabilities, KSB has in the past dealt with this appropriately by grouping students together on outings and/or by having staff close by for the students that need extra assistance.

You are right in saying that many of these children haven't had proper mobility classes but it's KSB's job to teach the children that come during the summer proper mobility.   That's one of the main reasons that kids are sent during the summer.  Being led by a rope isn't something they can use at home but they could benefit from a crash course on cane use.

I've talked to some of the children that were involved in this and the general theme is that they were embarrassed by the activity.  Beyond that it looks bad to the general public, we don't want the public to think that blind people have to be led by a rope to travel properly/safely.

KSB in the past has done a good job at teaching children proper mobility and life skills in general, we just want future children to have that same experience.  It's not about shaming KSB, we just want to make sure events like this don't happen in the future.

Katie