[Nfbk] Nancy's Bagel Grounds

Kevin Pearl kvnprl at insightbb.com
Mon Mar 25 20:07:17 UTC 2013

Here is a message from the NFBK Archives. February 10, 2003:

Hello All,

Last week representatives from New Vision Enterprises for the Blind went to
Nanci's Bagel Shop to inquire about jobs for blind people. Nanci's attitude
was quite negative. She would not hire a blind person because they would
have to use knives and make hot coffee. I have written her a letter making
it clear where NFB of Kentucky stands on this issue. I suggested that one
of our vendors or perhaps a homemaker could visit her establishment to
demonstrate that blind people are capable of performing such tasks. I also
explained to her about the Business Enterprise program and the kinds of
facilities that blind men and women are operating every day. If we are not
good enough to work in her store, then we shouldn't patronize the place. I
told her in my letter that news of her attitude was spreading through the
Clifton community and it is quite likely she would be seeing fewer blind
customers. I was confident when I told her our family and friends who are
sighted would also support our cause. I think we should spread the word. We
need to hit her in the pocketbook.

Cathy Jackson