[Nfbk] A Little about me.

Deanna Henderson dlhe227 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 15:54:06 UTC 2013

Hey guys,
let me first say that I am so totally enjoying being a member of NFBGL! I
look forward to being a part of NFB. My interest is in the changing of
ideals that society has seemingly boxed people who have a visual impairment
in to. This is something that on a personal note I have struggled with for
years. 14 years ago was when I lost a significant part of my vision, for
all of these years until recently (4 months ago) I have tried to live as a
sighted person who didn't deny that I was legally blind, but who didn't
want people to really know this about me. This was mainly due to the
negative impact that at I have felt as someone who has struggled with even
the simplest of things such as carrying and using a white cane.The last few
months have been difficult in not only realizing that my vision is getting
progressively worse, but also realizing that I feel like I have lost some
of my independence due to giving up driving. I have also recently started
depending on screen readers and magnifiers to the extent that people who
have known me for a long time look at me funny and say hurtful things like
"can't you see that?" This is part of my struggle almost daily,coming to
terms with my visual impairment. Admitting it to myself has been the hard
part. Anyho, at this time I want to thank you Melanie for bringing me into
the fold of the NFB, because I believe that the philosophy of NFB and my
philosophy aligns pretty much on an equal footing.
I really wish that I could attend the XMAS Party, but I just started a job
at the McDowell Center as a weekend Residential Aide, and my shift is from
8 am to 8 pm. Katie can you send me your address so that I can mail you a
check for the XMAS project? If there is anything that I can do please feel
free to either call me or send me an email here is my cell number
502-291-7808 and email is dlhe227 at gmail.com

Deanna (Dee) Henderson