[Nfbk] need some suggestion and guidance

Kathy Pingstock kpingstock at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 04:17:45 UTC 2013

Good evening,

I was not sure who to write to or ask, what better group than the nfb.

My name is Kathy, I have posted a few times, I moved here to Ky beginning of
this year. I live in mount eden ky, about 20 minutes from Taylorsville ky,
that is Spencer County. I lost my husband last year to cancer, to give you a
little more info on me, I lost my sight in my early twenties, my late
husband was very protective over me and sheltered me, I had some cane
training, but he would never really let me go on my own, maybe a little walk
in front of the apartment, but nothing extensive, I even went to get a guide
dog thinking that would help but it did not, so I made a decision to send
him back to the school. I have been totally blind now for over twenty years,
because of me being sheltered, to be honest I a scared of the world, not
sure how to go about being independent in this crazy world. I live in a part
of ky that has not public transportation, everywhere I go my sister has to
take me. Two of my sisters have it in their minds that I can not live on my
own, due to being afraid,  and when I filled out an app for volunteer at a
nursing home to get me out a little, I was not sue how to answer the
questions so I ask my sis what she thought  and try to get some opinions
from her, she was a little abrupt and said this is your app not mine,  and I
told her I have never done this before. I have a hunger for independence,
not sure if I have enough income to support myself, any comments or
suggestions will be helpful to get me started.

I know that I need retrining and update trainging as well.

Kathy