[Nfbk] Social Security & the Government Shutdown

Kevin Pearl kvnprl at twc.com
Mon Sep 30 23:09:07 UTC 2013

In the event of a Federal Government Shutdown October 1st, Social Security field offices will remain open with limited services. Hearings offices will remain open to conduct hearings before an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ). Social Security card centers will be closed.

Social Security and Supplemental Security Income payments to beneficiaries will continue with no change in payment dates.

Due to Congressional inaction to prevent a Government shutdown, we will only provide the following services at Social Security field offices:

Help you apply for benefits
Assist you in requesting an appeal
Change your address or direct deposit information
Accept reports of death
Verify or change your citizenship status
Replace a lost or missing Social Security payment
Issue a critical payment
Change a representative payee
Process a change in your living arrangement or income (SSI recipients only)
We cannot provide the following services:

Issue new or replacement Social Security cards
Replace your Medicare card
Issue a proof of income letter
If your visit involves any Social Security-related service not listed above, we regret we are unable to assist you. We regret any inconvenience. Our Online Services will remain open.

Agency Shutdown Contingency Plan
Information for Social Security Administration Employees Regarding SSA’s Furlough Status.
What You Can Do Online

Apply for retirement/spouse's benefits
Apply for disability benefits
Apply for Medicare
Apply for Extra Help with your Medicare prescription drug costs
Get a retirement benefit estimate
Use our benefit planners to calculate your retirement, disability and survivors benefits
Change your address or telephone number
Get a replacement Medicare card
Request a proof of income letter