[Nfbk] Interesting discussion

Nickie Pearl njp at twc.com
Sat Jan 18 18:19:29 UTC 2014

Hello!
    I just wanted to let everyone in on the discussion we had at last nights NFBGL meeting. We listened to a story from a Kernel book entitled;  Remembered to Feed the Kittens, by Dr. Marc Maurer.   Our discussion revolved around personal advocacy.
Here’s an example. You are out to dinner with your best friend who is sighted.  You guys enter the restaurant , the hostess greets the two of you & you ask for a Braille menu.  You & your friend are escorted to the table. A few minutes later your waiter comes by to take your drink orders. Instead of the waiter asking you what you’d like, she asks your friend what you’d like to drink.

    How would you politely & affectively let the waiter know, your blindness has nothing to do with speaking for yourself?

    Many of us in attendance at last nights meeting have had situations like this. Although there may be different situations & circumstances, we would do well to remember there is always an opportunity to educate & advocate.

    Melanie has indicated that we will continue to have these discussions from a Kernel story, so please try to attend the next meeting.

Have a great day!
Nickie