[Nfbk] Interesting discussion

April Brown aprilbrownshade at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 16:03:53 UTC 2014

My thoughts are a bit different.

First, as a woman, I know it was once common practice for the man to order for both, so if my husband is with me, and the waiter or waitress is older than us, I would assume that to be the case.  I would have already discussed with him what I want.

Second, being more than a little deaf, I can't hear the waiter or waitress most times anyway.  It's better if my husband who is aware of my food allergies can do the communicating for me, my life is at stake otherwise.  Also, being more than a little deaf, I can't hear myself speak, so I tend to talk too quiet for them to hear, or comprehend me.

While I agree blind people shouldn't be slighted, I'd far rather have the waitress or waiter ask my husband for my order than to have them call me "honey," babe," "sugar", or other derogatory term.  Even if I had hearing, I think I'd still feel the same.  Though, I'd be more outspoken and speak up with my order.

It's likely the waitress or waiter doesn't know how to address a blind person, or let them know they are ready for their order.  I'm thinking, most people's stereotype of a blind person from the only media they know, is that the blind person is more like me - both blind and at least partially deaf.  While most blind people are not partially deaf like me, that is the prevailing stereotype among adults, probably 30 and older.

It would be great to know how to better educate those we meet without being rude.  I'd be afraid of being rude to them, and honestly, a restaurant is not somewhere you want to take that chance.

April Brown

Writing dramatic adventure novels uncovering the myths we hide behind.

Hello!
    I just wanted to let everyone in on the discussion we had at last nights NFBGL meeting. We listened to a story from a Kernel book entitled;  Remembered to Feed the Kittens, by Dr. Marc Maurer.   Our discussion revolved around personal advocacy.
Here’s an example. You are out to dinner with your best friend who is sighted.  You guys enter the restaurant , the hostess greets the two of you & you ask for a Braille menu.  You & your friend are escorted to the table. A few minutes later your waiter comes by to take your drink orders. Instead of the waiter asking you what you’d like, she asks your friend what you’d like to drink.

    How would you politely & affectively let the waiter know, your blindness has nothing to do with speaking for yourself?

    Many of us in attendance at last nights meeting have had situations like this. Although there may be different situations & circumstances, we would do well to remember there is always an opportunity to educate & advocate.

    Melanie has indicated that we will continue to have these discussions from a Kernel story, so please try to attend the next meeting.

Have a great day!
Nickie