[Nfbk] New Mobility app developing

Rick Roderick rickrod at twc.com
Thu Mar 27 15:44:18 UTC 2014

I agree. A mobility instructor talked about an experience she had when she
was in training. When student started counting steps, the supervising
instructor would start talking to them to distract them. AFter all, steps
can have varying lengths.

I would like a devic eto say, Your facing east. Turn north at the next
intersecting corridor. I was taught to be aware of geographical directions
during outdoor travel.

I believe that any device should be a supplement to the cane or dog, but
here is my problem. Because of hearing loss, I wear a hearing aid in one ear
and a cochlear implant processor. The hearing aid gives me more natural
sound in some ways, but the CI gives me shaarper sound and a greater volume.
The problem is that my directional hearing is very poor.

I would like to see a device developed for those of us with duo-sensory
impairments. Perhaps one would wear gloves. A camera would be worn on the
head, perhaps two cameras in glasses. One could then feel the traffic flow
through the gloves as vibrations. This could also help people with normal
hearing when a bus idles and blocks out sounds.