[Nfbk] HR 831 Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities

Pamela Glisson pglisson at independenceplaceky.org
Wed May 7 15:09:04 UTC 2014

Hello Everyone,

Join us in a major push this week for HR 831 Fair Wages for Workers with
Disabilities.  I am traveling for work this week, therefore I didn't get
this information out as soon as I wanted to.  However, please see the
message below and the attachment for your convenience.

Even though, KY's Reps. Seemed to be supportive when we met with them, at
this time none have signed on to cosponsor.  Let's get this done by making
our unified voices heard.

If you have any questions, please contact me.  I will check email each
evening.  Thanks so much for all of your efforts!!

Sincerely, Pamela

Sample Call Script for Call Wednesday:

Good Morning. My name is ___________, and I support HR 831: the Fair Wages
for Workers with Disabilities Act.  I urge Representative _________ to
please co-sponsor this bill.

Currently, people with disabilities are legally being paid less than the
minimum wage.  Some are being paid as little as mere pennies per hour.  I
feel that this practice is wrong.   HR 831 will responsibly phase out this
antiquated, discriminatory and immoral practice over a three year period.

Can I count on Representative __________ to support people with disabilities
by co-sponsoring HR 831?

Sample Email for Email Thursday:

CC: pglisson at independenceplaceky.org & Rsloan at nfb.org

Subject: Please Co-Sponsor HR 831

Dear [name of Labor Legislative Aid]:

I write to express my support for HR 831: the Fair Wages for Workers with
Disabilities Act and to urge Representative [name of Representative] to
please co-sponsor this bill.

Currently, people with disabilities are being paid far below the minimum
wage.  This practice is legal under Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor
Standards Act of 1938.  HR 831 will responsibly phase out this antiquated
practice over a three year period.

If Representative [name of Representative] is ready to join nearly 80
Members of Congress by expressing a commitment to creating real employment
opportunities for people with disabilities, please contact Scot Malvaney,
Legislative Director for Congressman Harper at Scot.Malvaney at mail.house.gov,
and let him know that Representative ___________ would like to co-sponsor HR
831.

Thank you,

[Your name]

Pamela Roark-Glisson

Executive Director

1093 South Broadway, Suite 1218

Lexington, Kentucky 40504

Voice: (859) 266-2807

FAX: (859) 335-0627

The information contained in this e-mail may be privileged, confidential and
protected from disclosure.  If you are not the indentified recipient any
dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited.  If you
think that you may have received this e-mail message in error, please inform
the sender, and delete this message permanently from your computer files.

"What is true happiness? It's not attained through self-gratification but
through fidelity to a worthy purpose." Helen Keller