[Nfbk] Lyft Incident, May 24th

Corbb O'Connor via Nfbk nfbk at nfbnet.org
Sun May 25 00:11:09 UTC 2014

Hi all,

As many of you know, my wife is a guide dog user, and I used a guide dog, who has since retired, several years ago. I will always be the first person to speak up and educate people about state and federal regulations about where service dogs are allowed to travel. That said, it's important that we as users of a transportation service read the terms and conditions before using a product or service. I choose not to use Lyft because I disagree with one of the key assertions in its terms of service, unrelated to whether Lyft is a transportation provider.

As you can read in excerpts below, in the agreements to which most people just click through without reading, users of the Lyft and Uber platforms agree that those companies are not transportation providers. Even with Uber Black, their premium town car service, all Uber is doing is connecting drivers and passengers as well as handling payment arrangements. Sure, there are safeguards in place (e.g. background checks, pictures, authentication, etc.) and those are funded by the companies.

Ultimately, though, if a driver (the real "transportation provider") refuses to transport a customer because of a service dog, disability, ethnicity, etc., that is not a decision over which Uber or Lyft have control. These are the drivers' private vehicles over which the companies make clear they don't have control. That said, certainly these drivers—acting as "transportation providers"—are the ones who are in violation of the ADA. So, if you want, go ahead and proceed with litigation against the individual drivers. I agree that's difficult, expensive and probably not worth it. As understandable as it is to be upset with Uber or Lyft, though, it's energy directed at the wrong party, for Lyft and Uber are just a specialized, social network.

Plus, later in both agreements, users agree to hold the companies harmless from all claims that ensue from the use or violation of the terms. That said, Uber has always been good about handling customer service complaints and I have never had an Uber driver refuse service to Briley or me.

My fundamental disagreement with Lyft's terms is about its damage policy. If a driver alleges that you damaged their car, you are charged either $100, $250, or the full cost of repair..at Lyft's sole discretion. They claim that they investigate the validity of claims, but—according to their terms—they err on the side of the driver. This may be an unlikely scenario, but it's one on which I am not willing to take the risk, especially after reading about a few people who were erroneously charged.

If you want to read the full policy, read it on Lyft's terms of service under the heading "damage fee."

Here's an excerpt from Lyft's terms about their status as a "transportation provider":

"Lyft only offers a venue that enables drivers and riders to match with each other. Lyft does not offer transportation services and Lyft is not a transportation company. We are not involved in the actual transportation provided by Drivers to Riders. As a result, We have no control over the quality or safety of the transportation that occurs as a result of the Service; nor do We have any control over the truth or accuracy of the of Participants' information listed on the Lyft Platform."

Here's an excerpt from Uber's terms of service:

"For the avoidance of doubt: Uber itself does not provide transportation services, and Uber is not a transportation carrier. It is up to the Transportation Provider to offer transportation services, which may be requested through the use of the Application and/or the Service. Uber only acts as intermediary between you and the Transportation Provider. "

In the interest of full disclosure, I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice. This is just one man's reaction after reading two legally binding agreements.

-Corbb