[Nfbk] Jernigan Fund Application

kayla.penny at louisville.edu kayla.penny at louisville.edu
Sun Jan 11 00:03:32 UTC 2015

??Hi Sharri,

I'm sure Cathy will have more suggestions than me, but if I was writing the letter I would talk about what you've done in the state, (i.e. being on GL's board and what contributions you've made to the chapter/state within that role) and then I would look at the agendas from past national convention to see what specific parts of the convention you would want to participate in and what you would gain from that.  In your case specifically you could talk about recently losing your vision and the impact getting to network with other blind individuals, especially those within the human service field would have on you.  Lastly, state why you would be a good investment for NFB, for example, what can you do to help us grow?  (There's several other things you could put there, that's just the first thing that came to mind.)

If you don't have a mentor in mind, I'd start reaching out to people now to see if they're going and to make sure they're going to have enough time to be a good mentor.

Again, Cathy will probably have some other suggestions as well and she has to write you a letter to go with yours, so reach out to her early on too.

Katie