[Nfbk] Quest for Courage... "Hope's Landing"

John Glisson j.glisson at twc.com
Wed Jun 3 19:11:09 UTC 2015

Do Angels Fly Too Close to the Ground?

By Pamela Roark-Glisson

Melynda was five years and nine months old.  After several days of symptoms
and many hours this dark December, day, waiting for test results, and
praying.  Finally, the news came.  I refused to accept that she had another
brain tumor.  "Just days" the doctor answered when asked the question "how
long will she live?"  This news came just after Thanksgiving and before
Christmas.  Melynda Hope, my little five year old beautiful angel daughter
just has a few days to live!

>From birth, she was unable to keep her formula down and after many trials
and tests my Angel Girl was diagnosed with a brain tumor at seventeen months
old; she came into my life with a broken wing; was this angel flying too
close to the ground? We spent weeks in the hospital in Oregon and
California; doctors continually predicting that she would not sit up, crawl,
walk or live. She lost all of her hair due to radiation therapy; my Angel
Girl endured so many medical procedures; she was so skinny because she
couldn't keep much food down; and then she was so huge from other
treatments. Through all of this, Melynda remained full of love, tolerance,
and so much joy.

Just before her third birthday and after a ten day fast, she began to keep
her food down, gain normal weight, she did stand and walk!  God removed the
inoperable brain tumor!  Doctors wrote "there is no residual tumor; all
ventricals in the brain are in alignment and this was not done by any
medical treatment or procedure, but was done by a Higher Power".

All the glory goes to God!!  My Angel Girl's wing was mended!   She was
healthy, gained up to normal weight, defied all predictions of the doctors,
played with her older brothers, was so loving, kind and unselfish.  Melynda
Hope loved Jesus, she loved to sing and listen to Bible stories and prayed
for everyone while kneeling at her little red rocking chair.

Nearly three years later in early Summer, we moved back to our home in
Kentucky to be near family.  Then, one dreadful dark day in late September,
the kindergarten teacher called to say that my Angel Girl was sick, and she
couldn't stand or walk.  "You must come to her immediately", the teacher
said with grave concern.

With panic gripping my heart and a prayer that she would be well, I hurried
to the school and my heart broke when I got to her.  She seemed to be so
weak and we hurriedly took her to the doctor's office, who looked at her
medical records and immediately referred us to take her to Lexington, which
was about two hours away.

While making arrangements for someone to take care of her brothers and
quicly throwing some things in a bag, since I didn't know how long that we
would be away, I felt the love and peace of God and I was aware  of the
strength that He was giving me to manage all of the details.  I was
confident in God's plan and that the same God who had removed the tumor when
she was around three years old could certainly take care of this now.  Upon
our arrival at the hospital, she was admitted and the doctors and
technicians began to conduct assessments and tests.

Early the next morning, the doctor came into her room to share the results
of the tests.  "I'm afraid it's not good", he said.  "In reviewing her
previous medical records, I see that his tumor is in a different location
and I recommend emergency surgery", he went on gravely.  I could not believe
what he was saying; there must be a mistake; God already removed the tumor!
I could not process the words.  When he walked to the door to go, he said "I
will be back later this afternoon to discuss the schedule of surgery".  As
the door closed behind the doctor, through tears and prayers, I rocked my
little girl and pleaded for help, strength  and guidance.  Soon I realized
that I must put aside my emotion and seek counsel to make the best decision
possible for my baby girl that she could have quality of life.  I spent the
day in prayer, requesting prayer and sharing the news with family and
friends.  Everyone agreed that I must consent to the surgery and follow the
doctor's recommendation.  So, early the following morning, they came to take
her to surgery.  As I prayed with her, she patted me on the back, as if to
say, it's going to be all right.  After surgery, the doctor came out excited
and reported, "we got it all!"  "You can see her shortly".  I was so
relieved and grateful that the life threatening tumor was removed.

Now, just a few days after Thanksgiving, my baby girl and I are once again
in the doctor's office waiting for tests results.  On Thanksgiving day, she
didn't eat much; didn't play with the other kids and her right leg and arm
were abnormally cold.  When I called the doctor's office, I was told to
bring her in immediately.

After many hours of testing and anxiously waiting long into the evening for
the results, when the doctor came in, he said with intense emotion, "I'm so
very sorry, there is another tumor in a different place in her brain and
there is nothing that we can do".  His words fell to the floor.  He said,
"she will only have a few days to live, we can keep her in the hospital and
give her fluids until. Feeling devastated with his words, I asked, "is there
anything that you can do for her"?  "Nothing", he said.  I responded, "then
I will take her home, and she will be with family and friends."

The following two days were spent in prayer asking for God's  will for our
lives, loving and caring for my Angel Girl.  With God's compassion and love,
He helped me to accept His will.  Tjust before noon on Friday December 9,
surrounded by her Grandmother, Aunts, Uncles, other family and friends, with
the rustle of angels' wings, Melynda Hope was taken home.

The following morning, her brother said, "It's ok, Mom, Melynda has her
angel wings now.  "

https://youtu.be/C3PB1jWO3_E (Press
Enter on the t of Http.)

Pamela Roark-Glisson

Disability Rights Consultant

NFB of Lexington, President

NFBK 1st Vice President

NFBK Legislative Director

*** Find this story and more.

You will want to share copies with family and friends.

Click here to (Press Enter on the EBOOKS)

view
<http://www.amazon.com/Where-Find-God-Stories-v-2-ebook/dp/B00XWJE4X0/ref=sr
_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1432556470&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Where+do+I+F
ind+%22Gopd%22+Stories.+V.+2>  eBook Digital version ,cos is 99 cents

Click here  to (Press Enter on Print)

view Print versin cost is $5.38 <https://www.createspace.com/5497777>

If you would like to get your story published in similar fashion, contact
Dr. Paschal Baute at paschalthestoryteller at gmail.com.