[Nfbk] NFBK BELL Academy

Cathy Jackson cathyj1949 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 01:39:30 UTC 2016

Good Evening,
NFB Of Kentucky is hosting our first ever BELL Academy (Braille Enrichment through Learning and Literacy.) We are planning a one-week program to begin Monday, July 25th through Friday, July 29. We are excited that the American Printing House for the Blind has graciously offered to let us use their facilities. Not only will our students enrich their Brail skills, but they will also learn basic O & M skills and daily Living skills using non-visual techniques. Our Kiddos will have an advantage over students in other BELL Academies around the country. Our students will learn the history of Braille as well as how Braille is produced, thanks to APH. The BELL program started in Maryland in 2008 and has grown by leaps and bounds across the country. We are hoping that we can build on this year's platform and make next year's academy, and every academy there after bigger and better. We believe by partnering with APH that the future of BELL here in Kentucky is bright. We will be sure to keep you posted.